St Mary's Old Church - East Compton, Dorset
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 50° 58.112 W 002° 10.709
30U E 557684 N 5646646
Quick Description: Ruined church of St Mary, East Compton, Dorset.
Location: South West England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 9/23/2017 3:41:47 AM
Waymark Code: WMWNMZ
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member lumbricus
Views: 1

Long Description:
Only the 14th century tower now remains of the old St Mary's church at Compton Abbas. It still stands within the walls of its old churchyard, surrounded by old gravestones and preaching cross. Both tower and churchyard are now owned by the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings.
Three of the bells were moved here from the old church, one of which is medieval, named "Maria"; the other two are seventeenth century and were cast by the Salisbury founders John Wallis (Searve God IW 1616) and John Danton (Remember God ID 1624).

There is an image of the old tower in a window of the new church.
Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.