By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

1932 - Burton - St Helier, Jersey, Channel Islands
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member dtrebilc
N 49° 11.051 W 002° 06.307
30U E 565211 N 5448315
Quick Description: This foundation stone was laid by Stanley Howard Burton, son of Montague Burton the founder of this large clothing manufacturer and retailer.
Location: Jersey
Date Posted: 9/21/2017 3:41:03 PM
Waymark Code: WMWNDA
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member saopaulo1
Views: 1

Long Description:
The building is in a style developed by the Burton company for their stores, and the foundation stone was laid a year after the company bought out the architects practice and moved it in-house.

"Burton is a large United Kingdom high street clothing retailer. The company was once a constituent of the FTSE 100 Index, but is now a trading name of Arcadia Group Brands Ltd, part of the Arcadia Group. There are over 400 stores in the UK. It has also expanded to branches at out of town sites since the 1980s, such as at the Merry Hill Shopping Centre in the West Midlands, where it has had a store since November 1989.

The company was founded by Montague Burton in Chesterfield in 1903 under the name of The Cross-Tailoring Company. It was first listed on the London Stock Exchange in 1929 by which time it had 400 stores, factories and mills.

After World War II, Montague Burton was one of the suppliers of demob suits to the British government for demobilising servicemen, comprising jacket, trousers, waistcoat, shirt and underwear. It has been speculated that this is the origin of the phrase "the full monty". In 1946, the Company acquired the Peter Robinson department store chain. Montague Burton died in 1952. By this time, the company was the largest multiple tailor in the world.

The company expanded by purchasing various other brands, including competitors until was split from Debenhams in 1998. At this time Burtons became a brand name, and the Arcadia Group name took over as the group name.

The companies purchased or merged with were:

1954 Jackson the Tailor
1979 Dorothy Perkins
1984 Harry Fenton
1985 Debenhams
1986 John Collier

Burton was the official clothing supplier to the England national football team for the 1966 FIFA World Cup, UEFA Euro 1996 and the 2002 FIFA World Cup championships. In 1998 the company changed its name to Arcadia Group.

The Burton company archives are held at the West Yorkshire Archive Service in Leeds.

Beginning in 1923, Burton began to acquire freehold sites in order to build its own custom designed stores. Prominent town centre corner sites were preferred and the shops often moved a few doors along the same street in order to acquire the corner site. Leeds-based architect Harry Wilson was hired at this time and developed the Burton "house style" building design. In 1931 Burton took over Wilson's practice to make it the in-house architecture department. Wilson was replaced as chief architect by Nathaniel Martin in 1937.

This Burton in-house architecture was Art Deco in style. Individual stores vary from the more restrained red-brick with neoclassical scroll headed columns to fully fledged Art Deco with glazed white faience tile, geometric patterns and stylised elephant heads. However, there are also many standard elements such as a wide polished black granite band above the shop windows for signage, metal vent grates bearing the company logo, billiard halls on the upper levels, window lights showing the locations of other Burton stores, and mosaic titles - sometimes including the company logo - in the doorways.

At ground level, foundation stones were often placed by Montague Burton's four children, Barabara, Stanley, Arnold and Raymond. Each store might have one or several foundation stones, each bearing one name and the year. For example: "THIS STONE LAID BY RAYMOND MONTAGUE BURTON 1937". The children were quite young when these stones were laid. Stanley Howard was born in 1914 [10] and laid a stone for the Nottingham Beastmarket Hill store in 1924. At least four stores bear stones laid by Montague's wife "Lady Burton", and a number in the mid to late 1930s were laid by Austin Stephen Burton who may have been a grandchild.

Whilst some of these Burton buildings have been destroyed over the years, many are still standing and some of them still have active snooker clubs upstairs. Some are still occupied by Burton stores (often a combined Burton and Dorothy Perkins store) but many have changed use. McDonald's first three restaurants in the UK were opened in former Burton stores in 1974 and 1975 as the company was selling property at that time.

Most of the Scottish stores are listed with Historic Environment Scotland, protecting them from changes. However, only six stores in England and Wales are listed buildings, leaving over 200 with no protection from future changes or demolition. Recent years have seen stores demolished in Plymouth (2004) and Neasden (2012)." link
Year of construction: 1875

Full inscription:
THIS TONE LAID BY STANLEY HOWARD BURTON 1932


Cross-listed waymark: Not listed

Visit Instructions:

When logging a visit to a waymark in this category, please provide one or more photos taken by yourself, and note down your impressions and any background information you may have.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Dated Buildings and Cornerstones
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.