Havre des Pas - St. helier, Jersey, Channel Islands
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member dtrebilc
N 49° 10.595 W 002° 06.287
30U E 565245 N 5447472
Quick Description: This metal information board attached to railings on the promenade alongside the Havre des Pas bay area of St. Helier describes shipyards that used to be in the area.
Location: Jersey
Date Posted: 9/20/2017 2:48:24 PM
Waymark Code: WMWN77
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member MeerRescue
Views: 3

Long Description:
The board is in both English and French.
Havre des Pas

During the 17th and 18th centuries this was
described as one of the havens of St Helier but in
the 19th century it became associated with
shipbuilding with nearly 90 ships being launched
from a dozen shipyards on the beach.

THomas Bisson's yard (1856-73) was situated on
the east side of the slipway.
Francis Allix's shipyard (1842-77 was further
along the beach.
Auron de Ste Croix's yard (1815-28) was at Fort
d'Auvergne between 1815 and 1828.

Other yards here belonged to Matthieu Ph. Valpy
who built 22 vessels (1837-68). Le Vesconte &
Vautier who built another 13 (1854-58) and F.C.
Clarke who built 12 vessels here (1839-45) before
he moved his business to West Park.

Behind the yards were a number of rope-makers
and rope-walks. The earliest recorded was
George Rowcliffe in 1760. In the 19th century
Deslandes de Ste Croix and Jerom & Son all had
rope walks on sites to the rear of the Seaforth
Hotel while George D Laurens' site at La
Corderie was the largest roofed rope walk in the
island.
Presente au XVIIeme et XVIIIeme siecles
comme l'un des havres de St Helier ce lieu est
associe au XIXeme siecle a la construction
navale avec pres de 90 navires lances depuis la
douzaine de chantiers installes sur la plage.

Le chantier de Thomas Bisson (1856-73) se
situait dans la partie Est de la cale.
Le chantier de Francis Allix (1842-77) etait
place plus loin, le long de la plage.
Le chantier d'Auron de Ste Croix (1815-28)
etait base a Fort d'Auvergne de 1815 a 1828.

Un autre constructeur Matthieu Ph Valpy est
egalement base au Havre des Pas, il y
construit 22 navires de 1837 a 1868. Vesconte
a Gautier en construivent 13 autres entre 1854
et 1858 et F. C. Clarke 12 a cet emplacement
entre 1839 A 1845, avant de transferer ses
activites aWest Park.

Des corderies etaient installees derriere les
chantiers. Le premier cordier identifie
s'apelle George Rowcliffe; son nom est
mentionne en 1760. Au XIXeme siecle,
Deslandes de Ste Croix et Jerrom & Son font
installer leurs aires de tressage derriere l'hotel
Seaforth tandis qu'au lieu-dit 'La Cordierie',
l'atelier George D Laurens accueile la plus
grande corderie couverte de l'ile.
Type of Historic Marker: Standalone metal board

Historical Marker Issuing Authority: Tourism Development Fund

Give your Rating:

Age/Event Date: Not listed

Related Website: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Please submit your visiting log with a picture of the object and include some interesting information about your visit.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest UK Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
lynx36 visited Havre des Pas - St. helier, Jersey, Channel Islands 7/16/2019 lynx36 visited it