By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Railway Terminus - St. Helier, Jersey, Channel Islands
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member dtrebilc
N 49° 10.933 W 002° 06.197
30U E 565347 N 5448099
Quick Description: This plaque on a wall marks the terminus of the Jersey Eastern Railway, one of two railways that along the south coast of the island.
Location: Jersey
Date Posted: 9/19/2017 7:42:42 AM
Waymark Code: WMWMXK
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member bluesnote
Views: 1

Long Description:
These days the site has been turned into a car park.
LA VINGTAINE DE LA VILLE

TERMINUS OF THE
JERSEY EASTERN RAILWAY
1873-1929
"The Jersey Eastern Railway was a railway that began operations on 6 August 1873 in Jersey. The line closed on 21 June 1929. It is not to be confused with the Jersey Railway. It was always standard gauge. (4ft 8½ ins).

The Loi pour l'établissement d'un Chemin de Fer entre la Ville de St.-Hélier et Gorey was approved on 16 March 1871 (confirmed by Order in Council 19 March 1872), with 68 articles of the projet in the name of the Jersey Eastern Railway Company Limited. The law (repealed by the Statute Law Revision (No. 3) (Jersey) Law, 1966) authorised the railway from Snow Hill in St Helier, to Gorey and from there to St Catherine's Bay in St Martin, although the latter route was never begun. There was no mention of gauge. Article 54 of the projet was most significant in stating that any disagreement with property owners must be resolved by the Royal Court for consideration and decision, and the claimant could not cause work to cease by raising the clameur de haro (as had happened with the Jersey Railway construction).

On 15 May 1871, the committee appointed by the States met to consider objections by landowners; the majority were satisfied that they had received fair compensation.

The first turf was dug by Mrs Mourant, wife of Edward Mourant, the chairman of the Board of Directors, at a private ceremony on 17 September 1872. The line was opened on 6 August 1873, with a train of six carriages taking the States Members and their wives along the track to Grouville Station in 15 minutes.

The official opening of Gorey station was on 25 May 1891, to coincide with Queen Victoria’s birthday. The journey of just over six miles from St Helier cost 9d (old pence) first class return, 6d second class return.

In 1923 the Jersey Motor Transport Company started a bus service carrying passengers all over the Island. The Jersey Eastern Railway tried to counter the fierce competition by running their own bus service in 1926, but this was not much of a success, and declining profits led to termination of both the bus and train services on 21 June 1929. The company itself was liquidated in 1932.

Most of the land was sold to adjacent landowners, but part of the route can be seen near Fauvic (at the southeastern tip of the island), where it has been preserved as a footpath." link
Blue Plaque managing agency: LA VINGTAINE DE LA VILLE

Individual Recognized: Terminus of Jersey Eastern Railway

Physical Address:
Regent Road
St. Helier, St. Helier Jersey


Web Address: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
To log an entry for a "Blue Plaque," please try to include a picture of you next to the plaque!
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Blue Plaques
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.