Fontaine du Dauphin - Noyon, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 49° 34.837 E 003° 00.011
31U E 500013 N 5492003
Quick Description: [FR] Fontaine érigée pour commémorer le mariage en 1770 du Dauphin, futur Louis XVI, et de Marie-Antoinette. [EN] Fountain erected to commemorate the marriage in 1770 of the Dauphin, future Louis XVI, and of Marie Antoinette.
Location: Hauts-de-France, France
Date Posted: 9/15/2017 6:44:05 AM
Waymark Code: WMWKDY
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Windsocker
Views: 0

Long Description:

Depuis le myen age, plusieurs fontaines se sont succédés sur cette place

En mars 1769, l'évêque de Noyon Charles de Broglie, de retour dans son évêché après une maladie, reçoit un accueil si chaleureux, qu'il décide d'offrir à la ville une nouvelle fontaine. Le travail est confié au sculpteur parisien François Masson, ou Le Masson, (1745-1807), élève de Coustou. Nicolas-Joachim Hebeau, fils d'un fondeur parisien, réalise les éléments de plomb et le maître maçon Eloy Hublat de Noyon, le montage de l'ensemble. Sans doute commencée en 1770, l'œuvre semble être achevée l'année suivante, faisant l'admiration du marquis de Marigny, surintendant des bâtiments du Roi.

Achevée en 1771, elle se compose de trois éléments: un bassin octogonal, un piedestal entouré de 4 vertus cardinales (la force, la prudence, la justice et la tempérance) et un obélique.

Des coquilles et des dauphins ornaient les côtés. Le dauphin, futur Louis XVI et Marie-Antoinette sont représentés dans les médaillons que présentent les allégories de la France (personnage casqué) et de l'Autriche en hommage à leur mariage. de l'Autre côté se tient un enfant ailé, symbole de l'innocent amour.

Durant la période révolutionnaire, le décor héraldique et iconographie, qui évoque le mariage de Louis XVI et de Marie Antoinette et l'alliance entre la France et l'Autriche, fut brisé et les dédicaces primitives remplacés par la Constitution et la Déclaration des droits le l´homme et du citoyen.

Restaurée par Zacharie Rendu à la fin du 19e siècle, elle est relativement épargnée durant la Première Guerre mondiale, mais privée des quatre figures en plomb, de sept pieds de haut, qui occupaient les angles du piédestal.

Malgré son classement au titre des Monuments historiques, en 1924, la restauration de la fontaine n'est réalisée que très tardivement, après la Seconde Guerre mondiale, entre 1967 et 1979. A cette occasion, de nouvelles inscriptions ont pris place sur le socle.

Sources : La Fontaine

Since the myen age, several fountains have succeeded on this place

In March 1769, the Bishop of Noyon Charles de Broglie, returning to his bishopric after a sickness, received a warm welcome so that he decided to offer the town a new fountain. The work is entrusted to the Parisian sculptor François Masson, or Le Masson, (1745-1807), student of Coustou. Nicolas-Joachim Hebeau, son of a Parisian founder, realizes the elements of lead and the master mason Eloy Hublat of Noyon, assembling the whole. Undoubtedly begun in 1770, the work seems to be finished the following year, making the admiration of the Marquis de Marigny, superintendent of the King's buildings.

Completed in 1771, it consists of three elements: an octagonal basin, a pedestal surrounded by four cardinal virtues (strength, prudence, justice and temperance) and an obelisk.

Shells and dolphins adorned the sides. The dauphin, future Louis XVI and Marie-Antoinette are represented in the medallions presented by the allegories of France (helmeted figure) and Austria in homage to their marriage. On the other side stands a winged child, a symbol of innocent love.

During the revolutionary period, the heraldic decoration and iconography, which evokes the marriage of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette and the alliance between France and Austria, was broken and primitive dedications replaced by the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. the man and the citizen.

Restored by Zacharie Rendu at the end of the 19th century, it was relatively spared during the First World War but deprived of the four seven-foot-high lead figures that occupied the corners of the pedestal.

Despite its classification as Historic Monuments in 1924, the restoration of the fountain was only carried out very late after the Second World War between 1967 and 1979. On this occasion, new inscriptions took place on the pedestal.

Sources : The Fountain

Dénomination de l'édifice (from Merimee DB): fontaine

Localisation (from Merimee DB): Picardie ; Oise ; Noyon

Adresse de l'édifice (from Merimee DB): Place Bertrand Labarre

Siècle de la campagne principale de construction (from Merimee DB): 3e quart 18e siècle - 1770

Précision sur la protection de l'édifice (from Merimee DB):
Fontaine


Date de versement de la notice (Merimee DB): 11/2/1924

Relevant Website: [Web Link]

Photo with MH logo pictured included?: no

Référence de la notice (from Merimee DB): Not listed

Visit Instructions:
[EN] Include at minimum a complete sentence which reflects your experience visiting the site and upload a photo taken by you at the site.

[FR] Ecrivez au moins une phrase complète qui décrira votre expérience lors de la visite et téléchargez une photo du site prise par vous.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Monuments Historiques Français
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
pmaupin visited Fontaine du Dauphin - Noyon, France 9/15/2017 pmaupin visited it