By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Former Leadworks And Shot Tower - Chester, UK
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member dtrebilc
N 53° 11.660 W 002° 52.678
30U E 508153 N 5893895
Quick Description: This 168 feet (41.19m) high shot tower was built in 1799 to supply lead shot for muskets for the Naopleonic Wars.
Location: North West England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 8/11/2017 11:10:17 AM
Waymark Code: WMWC2X
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member az_pistolero
Views: 6

Long Description:
The tower stands on the bank of the Shropshire Union Canal (originally called the Ellesmere canal after the start of the canal 8 miles away).

The canal which was later extended opened between Chester and Ellesmere Port in 1797 and so the canal provided an ideal place to site the tower. It was built by Walkers, Parker & Co. and the site had other lead works as well as the tower.

It became an English Heritage (Now Historic England) Grade II Listed building in 1981, at which time it was still in use. The site later became derelict and after many years of plans to regenerate it the site is currently being converted into an Apartment block.

"SJ4166 LEADWORKS LANE 1932-1/6/181 (East side) 12/10/81 Chester Leadworks and Shot Tower II* Leadworks and shot tower, the works now largely storage. 1799 and later. Brick; slate roofs. EXTERIOR: industrial workshop formerly of 6 bays, now 3 bays plus a higher west bay. The lower brickwork of south side to Chester Canal altered C20, with doorway and 9 metal windows; gable clock, 1801, face to canal. The partly-glazed roofs are partly covered with sheet materials. The shot tower, the principal feature which justifies the star grading of this item, was built by Walkers Parker and Co. in 1799, primarily to provide lead shot for the Napoleonic wars and the only British shot tower now to remain in use. It is embraced by the workshops. Circular, 30 feet (9.1m) diameter at base and 20 feet (6.0m) diameter at crown, it is 168 feet (41.19m) high with an attached lightly clad steel-framed C20 lift-shaft. INTERIOR: the shot-tower interior is intact with peripheral stone spiral stair; 4 round-arched windows, rising with the stair, to each turn. HISTORICAL NOTE: the tower is important as evidence of the revolutionary process of shot production patented by William Watts in 1783. (Associated Lead Manufacturers Trade Journal: Nichols DA: Chester's Shot Tower: London: 1980-)." The listing

Apartment redevelopment details
From: 1/1/1799

To: 12/31/2001

Historical Purpose: To produce musket shot for the Napoleonic Wars

Open to the public: No

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Shot Towers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.