Eglise Saint-Etienne - Mortagne-sur-Gironde, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 45° 29.053 W 000° 47.075
30T E 673131 N 5039130
Quick Description: [FR] Les origines de cette église remontent au XIIe siècle, même s'il ne subsiste plus d'éléments datant de cette période. [EN] The origins of this church date back to the 12th century, even though there are no more elements dating from this period.
Location: Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France
Date Posted: 7/28/2017 4:38:59 AM
Waymark Code: WMW95K
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member RakeInTheCache
Views: 0

Long Description:

Au Moyen Âge, elle est une des deux églises paroissiales de la ville, avec l'église Notre-Dame, aujourd'hui disparue. Siège d'un prieuré conventuel augustinien, elle a autorité sur plusieurs paroisses alentour, dont Cozes, Saint-Seurin-d'Uzet, Gémozac ou Champagnolles. Incendiée et pillée durant les Guerres de religion par les troupes d'Agrippa d'Aubigné, elle est reconstruite une fois la paix revenue, mais est de nouveau en fort mauvais état au début du XVIIIe siècle.

Une grande campagne de travaux est menée à partir de 1769, sous la direction du tailleur de pierre Martin Blondeau et du charpentier Daniel Maurice. Au siècle suivant, le clocher, fissuré, nécessite une surveillance constante. Après délibérations, il est finalement décidé d'en construire un nouveau.

Deux architectes s'opposent quant au parti à mettre en œuvre : Gustave Alaux, adepte du style néogothique, et Antoine Brossard, tenant du néoclassicisme. La proposition d'Alaux l'emporte finalement, et en 1859, le clocher-porche en pierre de Bourg, couronné d'une flèche servant d'amer aux navigateurs, est édifié. Il est repris en 1870 par l'architecte Aimé Bonnet.

L'église Saint-Étienne, d'une grande sobriété, est en forme de croix latine. Elle comprend une nef unique de quatre travées, éclairée par une série de baies en plein cintre où ont été placés des vitraux colorés, issus des ateliers Dagrant et datant de 1889.

Le transept conserve une série de chapiteaux médiévaux, seules survivances de l'ancienne église. Des pilastres servent d'appui à une voûte d'arêtes en anse de panier, qui couvre la quasi-totalité de l'édifice. En ciment armé, elle date de la fin du XIXe siècle et remplace un ancien lambris.

De nombreux indices semblent indiquer la présence d'une crypte sous le croisillon nord ; la tradition veut que des compagnons de Charlemagne y aient été inhumés. Plusieurs religieux et différentes personnalités mortagnaises sont enterrées sous les dalles de l'église, suivant une coutume ancienne.

Le mobilier de l'église comprend un retable d'époque Louis XVIII, dans un goût proche de celui de Saujon, une chaire Louis XIII, un chemin de croix du XVIIIe siècle et une statuaire datant essentiellement du XIXe siècle.

Sources : L’Eglise

In the Middle Ages, it is one of the two parish churches of the city, with the church of Notre-Dame, today disappeared. Seat of a convent Augustinian priory, it has authority over several neighboring parishes, including Cozes, St. Seurin d'Uzet, Gémozac or Champagnolles. Burned and looted during the Wars of Religion by troops of Agrippa d'Aubigné, it was rebuilt once peace returned, but again in very bad condition in the early eighteenth century.

A great campaign of works was carried out from 1769, under the direction of stonecutter Martin Blondeau and carpenter Daniel Maurice. In the following century, the steeple, cracked, requires constant supervision. After deliberations, it is finally decided to build a new one.

Two architects are opposed to the party to be implemented: Gustave Alaux, adept in the neo-Gothic style, and Antoine Brossard, neoclassicist. Alaux's proposal finally prevailed, and in 1859, the steeple-stone porch of Bourg, crowned with an arrow serving as a bitter to the navigators, is built. It was taken over in 1870 by the architect Aimé Bonnet.

The church of St. Stephen, of great sobriety, is in the form of a Latin cross. It comprises a single nave of four bays, lit by a series of round arched bays where colored stained glass windows from the Dagrant workshops dating from 1889 were placed.

The transept retains a series of medieval capitals, the only survivals of the old church. Pilasters serve as a support for a vault of ridges in basket handle, which covers almost the whole of the building. In cement reinforced, it dates from the end of the XIXe century and replaces an old paneling.

Numerous indications seem to indicate the presence of a crypt under the northern cross; The tradition is that Charlemagne's companions have been buried there. Several religious and different Moroccan personalities are buried under the slabs of the church, according to an ancient custom.

The church furniture includes an altarpiece from the Louis XVIII period, in a taste similar to that of Saujon, a Louis XIII pulpit, an 18th-century way of the cross and a statuary dating from the 19th century.

Sources : The church

Localisation (from Merimee DB): Poitou-Charentes ; Charente-Maritime ; Mortagne-sur-Gironde

Adresse (from Merimee DB): 17120 Mortagne-sur-Gironde

Dénomination (from Merimee DB): église

Eléments protégés MH (from Merimee DB):
Chapiteaux du transept (cad. AB 245)


Epoque de construction (from Merimee DB): 12e siècle ; 15e siècle ; 19e siècle

Date de protection MH (preferred) or Date versement (Merimee DB): 3/6/1987

Relevant Website: [Web Link]

Photo with MH logo pictured included?: no

Visit Instructions:
[EN] Include at minimum a complete sentence which reflects your experience visiting the site and upload a photo taken by you at the site.

[FR] Ecrivez au moins une phrase complète qui décrira votre expérience lors de la visite et téléchargez une photo du site prise par vous.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Monuments Historiques Français
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
pmaupin visited Eglise Saint-Etienne - Mortagne-sur-Gironde, France 7/28/2015 pmaupin visited it