Eglise Saint-Pierre-aux-Liens - Lapalud, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 44° 18.298 E 004° 41.206
31T E 634540 N 4907129
Quick Description: [EN] Small parish church of the town of Lapalud built in the 13th century. [FR] Petite église paroissiale de la ville de Lapalud construite au XIIIème siècle.
Location: Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur, France
Date Posted: 7/23/2017 5:25:41 AM
Waymark Code: WMW885
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Dorcadion Team
Views: 4

Long Description:

At the arrival of the Hospitallers there was here only a small chapel, built by the fishermen of the marshes and the Rhone, served by a monk

The Hospitallers built a commandery there and created the central part (the nave which is of Romanesque style).

Father Rose thought that a chapel already existed in the 10th century. The main nave, of Romanesque style, is due to Bertrand de Clansaye, bishop of St. Paul in the thirteenth century.

The present bell tower was built in the 15th century by the Reverend Apostolic Chamber, lady lord of Lapalud, with the financial participation of Julien de la Rovère, who was to become Pope Julius II.

The works of extension, between 1823 and 1828 put in conflict the municipality and an irreducible neighboring owner, the Count of Empire Louis Joseph Victor Jullien de Bidon.

Inside, rests under the Sainte-Anne chapel, Blaise Alexandre Jullien, grandfather of the general and Count of Empire Jullien.

Sources : The Church

A l’arrivée des Hospitaliers il n’y avait ici qu’une petite chapelle, édifiée par les pêcheurs des marais et du Rhône, desservie par un moine.

Les Hospitaliers y firent construire une commanderie et créèrent la partie centrale (la nef qui est de style roman).

L’abbé Rose pensait qu'une chapelle existait déjà au Xe siècle. La nef principale, de style roman, serait due à Bertrand de Clansaye, évêque de Saint-Paul au XIIIe siècle.

Le clocher actuel aurait été édifié au XVe siècle par la Révérende Chambre Apostolique, dame seigneuresse de Lapalud, avec la participation financière de Julien de la Rovère, qui devait devenir le pape Jules II.

Les travaux d'agrandissement, entre 1823 et 1828 mirent en conflit la municipalité et un propriétaire voisin irréductible, le comte d'Empire Louis Joseph Victor Jullien de Bidon.

À l'intérieur, repose sous la chapelle Sainte-Anne, Blaise Alexandre Jullien, grand-père du général et comte d'Empire Jullien.

Sources : L’Eglise

Date the Church was built, dedicated or cornerstone laid: 1/1/1290

Age of Church building determined by?: Church website

If denomination of Church is not part of the name, please provide it here: Catholic

If Church holds a weekly worship service and "all are welcome", please give the day of the week: Sunday

Indicate the time that the primary worship service is held. List only one: 9:30 AM

Street address of Church:
1, place de l'église
Lapalud, Vaucluse France
84840


Primary website for Church or Historic Church Building: [Web Link]

If Church is open to the public, please indicate hours: Not listed

Secondary Website for Church or Historic Church Building: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
1) A photo of the church is required for visits to a waymark.

2) Please share some comments about your visit.

3) Additional photos are encouraged. If you can have information in addition to that already provided about this church, please share it with us.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest This Old Church
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
pmaupin visited Eglise Saint-Pierre-aux-Liens - Lapalud, France 7/8/2017 pmaupin visited it