By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Eglise Saint-Pierre-aux-Liens - Lapalud, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 44° 18.296 E 004° 41.189
31T E 634518 N 4907124
Quick Description: [FR] Petite église paroissiale de la ville de Lapalud construite au XIIIème siècle. [EN] Small parish church of the town of Lapalud built in the 13th century.
Location: Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur, France
Date Posted: 7/23/2017 4:56:07 AM
Waymark Code: WMW87X
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Windsocker
Views: 2

Long Description:

A l’arrivée des Hospitaliers il n’y avait ici qu’une petite chapelle, édifiée par les pêcheurs des marais et du Rhône, desservie par un moine.

Les Hospitaliers y firent construire une commanderie et créèrent la partie centrale (la nef qui est de style roman).

L’abbé Rose pensait qu'une chapelle existait déjà au Xe siècle. La nef principale, de style roman, serait due à Bertrand de Clansaye, évêque de Saint-Paul au XIIIe siècle.

Le clocher actuel aurait été édifié au XVe siècle par la Révérende Chambre Apostolique, dame seigneuresse de Lapalud, avec la participation financière de Julien de la Rovère, qui devait devenir le pape Jules II.

Les travaux d'agrandissement, entre 1823 et 1828 mirent en conflit la municipalité et un propriétaire voisin irréductible, le comte d'Empire Louis Joseph Victor Jullien de Bidon.

À l'intérieur, repose sous la chapelle Sainte-Anne, Blaise Alexandre Jullien, grand-père du général et comte d'Empire Jullien.

Sources : L’Eglise

At the arrival of the Hospitallers there was here only a small chapel, built by the fishermen of the marshes and the Rhone, served by a monk.

The Hospitallers built a commandery there and created the central part (the nave which is of Romanesque style).

Father Rose thought that a chapel already existed in the 10th century. The main nave, of Romanesque style, is due to Bertrand de Clansaye, bishop of St. Paul in the thirteenth century.

The present bell tower was built in the 15th century by the Reverend Apostolic Chamber, lady lord of Lapalud, with the financial participation of Julien de la Rovère, who was to become Pope Julius II.

The works of extension, between 1823 and 1828 put in conflict the municipality and an irreducible neighboring owner, the Count of Empire Louis Joseph Victor Jullien de Bidon.

Inside, rests under the Sainte-Anne chapel, Blaise Alexandre Jullien, grandfather of the general and Count of Empire Jullien.

Sources : The Church

Localisation (from Merimee DB): Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur ; Vaucluse ; Lapalud

Adresse (from Merimee DB): 1 Rue de l'Abbé Rose

Dénomination (from Merimee DB): église

Eléments protégés MH (from Merimee DB):
Tour du clocher (cad. E 491)


Epoque de construction (from Merimee DB): 13ème siècle

Date de protection MH (preferred) or Date versement (Merimee DB): 8/8/1973

Relevant Website: [Web Link]

Photo with MH logo pictured included?: no

Visit Instructions:
[EN] Include at minimum a complete sentence which reflects your experience visiting the site and upload a photo taken by you at the site.

[FR] Ecrivez au moins une phrase complète qui décrira votre expérience lors de la visite et téléchargez une photo du site prise par vous.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Monuments Historiques Français
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
pmaupin visited Eglise Saint-Pierre-aux-Liens - Lapalud, France 7/8/2017 pmaupin visited it