Hôtel de ville de Laon / France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Iris & Harry
N 49° 33.898 E 003° 37.239
31U E 544879 N 5490449
Quick Description: Sign of former Hotel, Building nowadays in use as a Town Hall.
Location: Hauts-de-France, France
Date Posted: 6/30/2017 12:08:09 AM
Waymark Code: WMW26D
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member TheBeanTeam
Views: 2

Long Description:
The sign says HOTEL DE VILLE. We didn't realize this when we was there , but while working with the fotos at home we could see it and do some recherches then:

Hôtel de ville de Laon. (2017, juin 20). Wikipédia, l'encyclopédie libre. Page consultée le
06:42, juin 30, 2017
à partir de (visit link)

"L'hôtel de Ville de Laon est situé dans la ville haute de Laon, dans le département de l'Aisne. Il abrite les services administratifs et politiques de la ville.

Historique

Sous l'Ancien Régime, la ville de Laon disposait d'un hôtel de ville. Sous la Révolution française, en 1794, le conseil municipal siégea dans l'ancien palais royal. Cependant, après la révolution des Trois Glorieuses de juillet 1830, les édiles décidèrent de construire un nouvel hôtel de ville et d'aménager la place1. Après de long débats, de 1831 à 1834 cinq projets furent proposés.

En application de la Loi d'alignement du 16 septembre 1807, il fut décidé de raser la tour de Louis d'Outremer, la vue ci-jointe montrant l'ancienne place du bourg avec la chapelle de la Trinité, l'église Saint-Michel et la tour de Louis d'Outremer. Victor Hugo en fait le sujet d'un article violemment critique intitulé « Guerre aux démolisseurs » dans La Revue des Deux mondes.
Le premier projet de Gosset ne fut pas retenu, ni le second de Cambacérès, le troisième fut taxé de mauvais projet, le quatrième de Pollet avait la préférence de la ville, mais il n'eut pas les faveurs de Paris et finit par être retiré et un dédommagement de 2 000F octroyé à l'architecte. Le cinquième projet était celui de Jean Charles Brignol qui finit, après de longues discussions, par être accepté par le conseil municipal le 10 mai 1836 pour un coût de 119 452 F. Les clefs furent remises au maire en décembre 1838. Cependant, le bâtiment présentait des malfaçons et dut être repris en 1846 par l'architecte Henri Roze.

Extérieur

L'hôtel de ville de Laon est un bâtiment parallélépipédique de style néo-classique construit en pierre. Il s'élève sur deux niveaux. On pénètre à l'intérieur par un escalier menant trois doubles portes. Les fenêtres du rez-de-chaussée et du premier étage sont haute est terminées en arrondi sauf les fenêtres des extrémités. Au dessus du premier étage, une balustrade décorée de pots à feu est surmontée au centre par un fronton encadrant une horloge au décor allégorique sculpté par Élie BADRÉ.
La mairie était desservie par un tramway, en premier sur la place à côté du théâtre et actuellement à l'arrière. La place avait une statue du maréchal Sérurier, détruite par les Allemands."

EN (Translation):
"The town hall of Laon is located in the upper town of Laon, in the department of Aisne. It houses the administrative and political services of the city.

Historical

Under the Ancien Régime, the city of Laon had a town hall. During the French Revolution, in 1794, the municipal council sat in the old royal palace. However, after the Revolution des Trois Glorieuses in July 1830, the Aediles decided to build a new town hall and to make room for the place. After lengthy discussions, from 1831 to 1834 five projects were proposed.

In accordance with the Law of Alignment of September 16, 1807, it was decided to raze the tower of Louis d'Outremer, the attached view showing the old town square with the chapel of the Trinity, Michel and the Tower of Louis d'Outremer. Victor Hugo is the subject of a violently critical article entitled "War with the demolishers" in La Revue des Deux mondes.
Gosset's first project was not retained, nor the second by Cambaceres, the third was labeled a bad project, Pollet's fourth was the city's preference, but he was not favored by Paris and was eventually withdrawn And a compensation of 2,000 francs granted to the architect. The fifth project was that of Jean Charles Brignol who, after long discussions, ended up being accepted by the municipal council on 10 May 1836 at a cost of 119,452 francs. The keys were handed to the mayor in December 1838. However, the building Was defective and had to be taken up again in 1846 by the architect Henri Roze.

Outside

The town hall of Laon is a parallelepiped building of neo-classical style built in stone. It rises on two levels. One enters the interior by a staircase leading to three double doors. The windows on the ground floor and first floor are high finished in rounded except the windows of the ends. Above the first floor, a balustrade decorated with fire pots is surmounted in the center by a pediment framing a clock with allegorical decor carved by Élie BADRÉ.
The town hall was served by a tram, first on the square next to the theater and currently at the back. The square had a statue of Marshal Serurier, destroyed by the Germans."
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Ghost Signs
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.