1614 - St. Michael-Gymnasium - Bad Münstereifel - NRW / Germany
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Iris & Harry
N 50° 33.218 E 006° 45.827
32U E 341592 N 5602577
Quick Description: The date in iron letters at the facade.
Location: Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
Date Posted: 6/21/2017 3:33:35 AM
Waymark Code: WMW0C7
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member bluesnote
Views: 2

Long Description:
Seite „St. Michael-Gymnasium (Bad Münstereifel)“. In: Wikipedia, Die freie Enzyklopädie. Bearbeitungsstand: 12. April 2017, 05:23 UTC. URL: (visit link) (Abgerufen:
21. Juni 2017, 10:17 UTC
) :


"Das St. Michael-Gymnasium ist ein Gymnasium in Bad Münstereifel. Es ist neben dem Erzbischöflichen St.-Angela-Gymnasium eines der beiden Gymnasien der Stadt. Träger der Schule, die 1625 durch die Jesuiten gegründet wurde, ist die Stadt Bad Münstereifel.

Das Gründungsflugblatt vom 29. September 1625, dem Michaelistag, datiert die Schulgründung.

Der Jesuitenorden unterstützte ausschließlich das höhere Schulwesen. Da der Unterricht unentgeltlich war, war die Schule auf starke finanzielle Unterstützung angewiesen. Die Schule erhielt vor allem Stiftungen, Schenkungen und Vermächtnisse.

Durch eine starke finanzielle Unterstützung wurde ein teures Gebäude errichtet. 1726 wurde das Gebäude fertiggestellt, das bis heute größtenteils unverändert blieb. Auf Grund der vielen finanziellen Mittel gab es auch eine umfangreiche Bibliothek. Zum Vermögen des Kollegiums zählten 1773 ein Stadtgrundstück, neun Güter und Höfe, zwei Weiden, fünf Waldungen, fünf Pachtberechtigungen, fünf Renten, sechs Gemeindesteuern und viele kleinere Ansprüche.

Der einzige Unterrichtsgegenstand waren klassische Schriftsteller und deren Schriften. Die Unterrichtssprache war Latein. Alle Inhalte heutiger Fächer wie Deutsch, Geschichte, Erdkunde oder Mathematik integrierten die Lehrer in die Erläuterung der lateinischen Texte. Somit mussten die Lehrer vorhandene Quellen der Schulbibliothek nutzen um Lehrinhalte zu vermitteln; eine umfangreiche Schulbibliothek war daher wichtig.

Diese jesuitische Schulorganisation hatte bis etwa in die zweite Hälfte des 18. Jahrhunderts Bestand.

Die Schülerzahl betrug um 1750 etwa 200 Jungen. Mädchen wurden nicht unterrichtet.

Durch die Aufhebung des Jesuitenordens durch Papst Clemens XIV 1773 veränderten sich die Besitzverhältnisse. Durch ein Dekret des Reichshofrates in Wien wurde die Schule und deren Güter der jeweiligen landesherrlichen Administration unterstellt. Kurfürst Karl Theodor, Herzog von Jülich-Berg, übertrug die Verwaltung und Unterhaltung der Schule der Stadt Münstereifel. Durch die Abhängigkeit der Stadt und deren geringen finanziellen Mittel wurde die Schule kleiner.

Zwischen 1795 und 1814 war die Schule fast mittellos. Lehrer unterrichteten in dieser Zeit unentgeltlich. Durch die Überführung des Herzogtums Jülich zum Königreich Preußen (1815) erhielt die Schule wieder mehr Geld. Die Schülerzahl, die im Herbst 1800 nur 18 Schüler betrug, wuchs auf 123 im Jahr 1820.

Nach dem Zweiten Weltkrieg wurde die Schule von der Landesträgerschaft getragen. So wurde sie ein staatliches Gymnasium. Seit Januar 1974 ist die Schule wieder städtisch."

EN (translation):
"The St. Michael-Gymnasium is a grammar school in Bad Münstereifel, one of the two gymnasia of the city, next to the Archbishop's St.-Angela-Gymnasium, the city of Bad Münstereifel, founded by the Jesuits in 1625.

The foundation flyer of 29 September 1625, the Michaelistag, dates the school founding.

The Jesuit Order exclusively supported higher education. Since the teaching was free of charge, the school was dependent on strong financial support. The school received mainly foundations, donations and legacies.

An expensive building was built by a strong financial support. The building was completed in 1726, which remained largely unchanged to this day. Due to the many financial resources, there was also an extensive library. In 1773, the city council counted a quarter of land, nine estates and farms, two pastures, five groves, five tenancy rights, five pensions, six municipal taxes, and many smaller claims.

The only subjects were classical writers and their writings. The teaching language was Latin. All the contents of today's subjects such as German, History, Geography or Mathematics integrated the teachers into the explanation of the Latin texts. Thus, teachers had to use existing sources of the school library to convey teaching content; An extensive school library was therefore important.

This Jesuit school organization continued until the second half of the eighteenth century.

The number of pupils was about 200 boys around 1750. Girls were not taught.

The abolition of the Jesuit order by Pope Clement XIV in 1773 changed the ownership conditions. By a decree of the Reichshofrat in Vienna, the school and its goods were subordinated to the respective provincial administration. Elector Karl Theodor, Duke of Jülich-Berg, passed the administration and maintenance of the school of the city of Münstereifel. Due to the dependency of the city and its low financial resources, the school became smaller.

Between 1795 and 1814 the school was almost destitute. Teachers taught at this time free of charge. By the transfer of the duchy Jülich to the Kingdom of Prussia (1815) the school received again more money. The number of students, which in the autumn of 1800 was only 18, grew to 123 in 1820.

After the Second World War the school was supported by the Landgerichtschaft. So she became a state high school. The school has been urban again since January 1974. "
Year of construction: 1614

Cross-listed waymark: Not listed

Full inscription: Not listed

Visit Instructions:

When logging a visit to a waymark in this category, please provide one or more photos taken by yourself, and note down your impressions and any background information you may have.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Dated Buildings and Cornerstones
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
kaschper69 visited 1614 - St. Michael-Gymnasium - Bad Münstereifel - NRW / Germany 2/9/2019 kaschper69 visited it