Château de Langeais - Langeais, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 47° 19.483 E 000° 24.367
31T E 304001 N 5244512
Quick Description: [EN] Langeais Castle is situated on a rocky promontory overlooking the right bank, the Loire Valley. [FR] Le château de Langeais est situé sur un promontoire rocheux surplombant, en rive droite, le val de Loire.
Location: Centre-Val-de-Loire, France
Date Posted: 5/16/2017 1:04:54 AM
Waymark Code: WMVPW4
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Dorcadion Team
Views: 5

Long Description:

A first castle was built by Foulques Nerra, Count of Anjou.

Under the domination of the English dynasty of Plantagenet, the castle was enlarged by the king of England Richard Cœur de Lion, count of Maine and Anjou from 1189 to 1199. Philippe Auguste reconquered it in 1206, then it was destroyed by the English during the Hundred Years War. From the building of that period there remains a facade of the main tower, called "Fulk Nerra Dungeon".

In 1465, Louis XI ordered the reconstruction of the castle, below the vestiges of the old edifice; The work is conducted under the direction of Jean Bourré, Treasurer of France and friend of the King, and Jean Briçonnet. The new castle of Langeais was completed in 1469.

The most prominent event of the life of the castle is the royal wedding of Charles VIII with Anne of Brittany, celebrated on 6 December 1491 at 7 o'clock in the morning. The young duchess was then only 14 years old and her marriage marks the end of the independence of the duchy of Brittany.

Until the reign of Louis XIII, the domain of Langeais remained the property of the crown of France, which sometimes gives it as compensation or reward. It then belongs to different families.

Abandoned in the Revolution and at the beginning of the 19th century, the buildings were rehabilitated from 1833, then in April 1839 by Christophe Baron, who was admitted to Paris who had acquired the castle for 35,000 francs from the Moisant family Who had owned it since its purchase in 1797 by Charles-François Moisant to the Duke of Luynes for 170,000 francs.

On the death of son Baron, the castle was acquired on July 28, 1886 by the banker and businessman Jacques Siegfried, Siegfried's uncle And Siegfried, who for 20 years will restore and re-furnish it before giving it to the Institute Of France on March 22, 1904 (act Colin-Langeais) - with usufruct reserve for his heirs.

Un premier château est bâti par Foulques Nerra, comte d'Anjou.

Sous la domination de la dynastie anglaise des Plantagenêt, le château est agrandi par le roi d'Angleterre Richard Cœur de Lion, comte du Maine et d'Anjou de 1189 à 1199. Philippe Auguste le reconquiert en 1206, puis il est détruit par les Anglais lors de la guerre de Cent Ans. Du bâtiment de cette époque subsiste une façade de la tour principale, appelée « donjon de Foulques Nerra ».

En 1465, Louis XI ordonne la reconstruction du château, en contrebas des vestiges de l'ancien édifice ; les travaux sont menés sous la direction de Jean Bourré, trésorier de France et ami du roi, et Jean Briçonnet. Le nouveau château de Langeais est achevé en 1469.

L'événement le plus marquant de la vie du château est le mariage royal de Charles VIII avec Anne de Bretagne, célébré le 6 décembre 1491 à 7 heures du matin. La jeune duchesse n'avait alors que 14 ans et son mariage signe la fin de l'indépendance du duché de Bretagne.

Jusqu'au règne de Louis XIII, le domaine de Langeais reste la propriété de la couronne de France, qui le donne parfois à titre d'indemnisation ou de récompense. Il appartient ensuite à différentes familles.

Laissé à l'abandon à la Révolution et au début du XIXe siècle, les bâtiments furent remis en état à partir de 1833, puis en avril 1839 par Christophe Baron, avoué à Paris qui avait acquis le château pour 35 000 francs de la famille Moisant qui le possédait depuis son achat en 1797 par Charles-François Moisant au duc de Luynes pour 170 000 francs.

À la mort du fils Baron, le château fut acquis le 28 juillet 1886 par le banquier et homme d'affaires mulhousien Jacques Siegfried, oncle d'André Siegfried, qui pendant 20 ans le restaurera et le remeublera avant de le donner à l'Institut de France le 22 mars 1904 (acte Colin-Langeais) - avec réserve d'usufruit pour ses héritiers.

Sources : Le Château

Wikipedia Url: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
To post a visit log to this waymark you need to visit and write about the actual physical location. Any pictures you take at the location would be great, as well.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Wikipedia Entries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Alfouine visited Château de Langeais - Langeais, France 5/25/2019 Alfouine visited it
Chickilim visited Château de Langeais - Langeais, France 4/26/2018 Chickilim visited it
celene37 visited Château de Langeais - Langeais, France 12/2/2017 celene37 visited it
pmaupin visited Château de Langeais - Langeais, France 11/3/2014 pmaupin visited it
LeBourguignon visited Château de Langeais - Langeais, France 11/2/2013 LeBourguignon visited it

View all visits/logs