St Andrew - Thornhaugh, Cambridgeshire
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 52° 35.549 W 000° 25.323
30U E 674616 N 5830061
Quick Description: St Andrew, a 12th century church on Russell Hill, Thornhaugh.
Location: Eastern England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 5/11/2017 11:33:20 PM
Waymark Code: WMVP26
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member lumbricus
Views: 0

Long Description:
"St Andrew's and the adjacent and substantial former Rectory, are situated on the west bank of a small stream that flows into the River Nene. It forms part of the Parish of Thornhaugh-cum-Wansford, the other parish church being St Mary’s, Wansford.

The earliest work in the church dates from the end of the 12th century. The chancel and tower were built in the 13th century. The fall of the church spire in the late 15th century destroyed the porch, the south arcade and the south aisle of the nave. These were replaced in 1500 by a new wall on the line of the previous arcade (the remains of the original arches are still visible at each end). The present light and bright character of the church was created at that time by the two large perpendicular windows, which were incorporated in the replacement wall.

In the south chapel is the Russell Monument of 1613. This is the tomb of William Lord Russell of Thornhaugh, who was the Lord Deputy of Ireland under Queen Elizabeth 1 and grandfather of the first Duke of Bedford. Other memorials in the church include one on the south wall of the nave to Stanley Brotherhood and his wife Vera. Stanley was the son of Peter Brotherhood who started the well-known Peterborough engineering company at the end of the 19th century. Stanley built Thornhaugh Hall in 1907 and until 1931 owned the whole of the village and estate. The Hall was then bought by Frank Perkins of Perkins Engines Ltd and was owned by the company until 1994.

There are a few traces of wall paintings above the entrance to the south transept. This is thought to depict the arms of the St Medard family who were tenants of Thornhaugh from before the Doomsday Book right through to the 15th century.

There is a ring of five bells, the oldest being the 3rd by Tobie Norris of Stamford, dated 1634. In 1993, a new 2nd bell (Taylor) was hung replacing a bell of 1619, also cast by T Norris.

St Andrew’s churchyard is the burial ground for the parish of Thornhaugh with Wansford, following the closure of St Mary’s churchyard to further burials.

In 2010, a single storey extension was added at the west end alongside the tower, which houses a disability-compliant toilet, servery facilities and new central heating boiler; in 2011, all the convector radiators were replaced; a induction-loop sound system installed and the interior redecorated. These works have been possible through Landfill Tax grant aid.

A list of Rectors from 1247 to the present day (excluding the late Rev Canon Thomas Christie) can be seen in the south transept."

SOURCE - (visit link)
Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.