By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Holy Trinity - Hatton, Warwickshire
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 52° 18.241 W 001° 39.314
30U E 591690 N 5795704
Quick Description: Holy Trinity church, on the A4177 Birmingham Road, Hatton.
Location: West Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 4/30/2017 2:09:23 AM
Waymark Code: WMVKK4
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Dorcadion Team
Views: 0

Long Description:
"The parish church of HOLYTRINITY was rebuilt in 1880, except the west tower, which dates probably from the early 16th century. The modern part consists of a chancel, clearstoried nave, north and south aisles, north vestry and north porch, in the style of the late 13th century.

The tower (10¼ ft. north to south by 8½ ft. east to west) is built of ashlar in one unbroken stage with a chamfered plinth and diagonal buttresses right up to the string-course of the embattled parapet. The archway from the nave has responds of two orders, the inner rounded, with a very wide fillet, the outer hollowed, continued in the two-centred head and having moulded capitals at the springing. Above it are the lines of a high-pitched gabled roof of the nave and of a later roof of low pitch that only just cleared the arch. In the south-west angle is a stair-vice with four-centred doorways. The west window is of three cinquefoiled lights and vertical tracery in a two-centred head with an external hood-mould: this is enriched with crockets and has grotesque stops, the southern horned like a ram. The window also has an embattled transom, below which the lights have cinquefoiled heads. Below the sill is a plain string-course outside. The north and south sides have rectangular loop-lights to the second story and square buttresses flush with the east wall. An 18th-century gallery doorway in the south wall has been filled in. The bell-chamber is of different stone, a yellower kind, and is probably later than the lower part. The windows are of two trefoiled lights and a plain spandrel in a two-centred head.

The font has an ancient bowl that was originally round but has been cut in the lower half to an octagon to fit a modern stem and base; it is probably of the 13th century.

There are six bells, recast in 1885, and a sanctus bell of 1809.

The communion plate includes a cup and cover paten and tankard of 1739, a salver of 1669, and two large candlesticks of 1696, all given by Mrs. Jane Norcliffe in 1745.

The register of burials begins in 1538, that of baptisms and marriages in 1589."

SOURCE - (visit link)
Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.