Historic Tripoint of Bern, Basel-Landschaft and Solothurn - Ettingen, BL, Switzerland
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member fi67
N 47° 27.671 E 007° 31.843
32T E 389262 N 5257462
Quick Description: This borderstone in the forest south of Ettingen was a cantonal tripoint from 1815 until 1994.
Location: Basel Landschaft, Switzerland
Date Posted: 4/18/2017 1:31:46 AM
Waymark Code: WMVGWD
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member lumbricus
Views: 1

Long Description:
EN: The triangular boundary stone is located at a junction of several forest roads on the ridge of the Blauen hills. The three sides of the stone contain the coat of arms of Bern and the year 1822 on the side of Blauen, the coat of arms of Solothurn, the letters SO and the number 39(?) on the side of Hofstetten-Flüh and a large "E" in a coat of arms on the side of Ettingen.

At this point, the borders of three cantons met from 1815 to 1994. The municipality of Ettingen belonged to the prince-bishopric of Basel, probably since its founding in 999. The municipalities of Blauen and Hofstetten were free imperial villages under the rule of the lords of Rotberg. After the Rotberg had acquired large territories in southern Germany, they moved to the Breisgau and gave up their ancestral area in several steps. In 1462, Bernhard von Rotberg sold the eastern half of the Blauen Hill villages with the village of Blauen to the Prince-Bishop of Basel. In 1515, the rest, containing Hofstetten, was sold to Solothurn, which had joined Switzerland in 1481 (the city of Basel had also joined the Confederation in 1501, but this did not involve the bishop's rural possessions, including Ettingen and Blauen). After the French Revolution, both territories were occupied by French troops in 1798. Solothurn became part of the Helvetian Republic, while the prince-bishopric was annexed by France. After the defeat of Napoleon, the territories were redistributed at the Congress of Vienna in 1815. The former prince-bishopric came to Switzerland and was divided into Bern and Basel. Blauen belonged to the Bernese part, Ettingen to the Basel part. Thus, this location became became a tripoint of the cantons of Basel, Bern and Solothurn. The boundary stone dates back to this time, with the engraved dates slightly younger. In 1833 Ettingen came to the canton of Basel-Landschaft, which had separated from the city. In 1979 the canton of Jura was founded, which consists of the French-speaking areas of the former prince-bishopric. Thus, the district Laufen with Nenzlingen became a Bernese exclave. After lengthy negotiations and several plebiscites, it joined the canton of Basel-Landschaft in 1994. Since then, this place is no longer a tripoint, but the engravings remained unchanged.

DE: Der dreieckige Grenzstein befindet sich an einer Kreuzung von Waldwegen auf dem Grat des Hügelkamms Blauen. Die drei Seiten des Steins enthalten das Wappen von Bern und die Jahreszahl 1822 auf der Seite von Blauen, das Wappen von Solothurn, die Buchstaben SO und die Jahreszahl 39(?) auf der Seite von Hofstetten-Flüh und ein grosses "E" in einem Wappen auf der Seite von Ettingen.

An dieser Stelle trafen sich von 1815 bis 1994 die Grenzen von drei Kantonen. Die Gemeinde Ettingen gehörte zum Fürstbistum Basel, wahrscheinlich schon seit dessen Gründung 999. Die Gemeinden Blauen und Hofstetten waren reichsfreie Dörfer unter der Herrschaft der Herren von Rotberg. Nachdem die Rotberg zu grossen Ländereien in Süddeutschland gekommen waren, verlegten sie ihren Sitz ins Breisgau und gaben ihr Stammgebiet in mehreren Schritten auf. 1462 verkaufte Bernhard von Rotberg die östliche Hälfte der Blauendörfer mit dem Dorf Blauen an den Bischof von Basel. 1515 wurde der Rest mit Hofstetten an Solothurn verkauft, das 1481 der Schweiz beigetretten war (auch die Stadt Basel war der Eidgenossenschaft 1501 beigetreten, dies betraf aber nicht die ländlichen Besitzungen des Bischofs, zu denen Ettingen und Blauen gehörten). Nach der französischen Revolution wurden beide Gebiete 1798 von französischen Truppen besetzt. Solothurn wurde Teil der Helvetischen Republik, während das Fürstbistum von Frankreich annektiert wurde. Nach der Niederlage von Napoleon wurden die Gebiete auf dem Wiener Kongress 1815 neu aufgeteilt. Das ehemalige Fürstbistum kam zur Schweiz und wurde an Bern und Basel aufgeteilt. Blauen gehörte zum Bernischen Teil, Ettingen zum Baslerischen. Damit wurde diese Stelle zum Grenzpunkt der drei Kantone Basel, Bern und Solothurn. Der Grenzstein stammt aus dieser Zeit, wobei die eingravierten Jahreszahlen etwas jünger sind. 1833 kam Ettingen zum Kanton Basel-Landschaft, der sich von der Stadt abgetrennt hatte. 1979 wurde der Kanton Jura gegründet, der aus den französischsprachigen Gebieten des ehemaligen Fürstbistums besteht. Damit wurde der Amtsbezirk Laufen mit Blauen zu einer Bernischen Exklave. Nach längeren Verhandlungen und mehreren Abstimmungen schloss er sich 1994 dem Kanton Basel-Landschaft an. Seither ist diese Stelle kein Dreipunkt mehr, die Gravierungen blieben aber unverändert.
Political Entities:
Bern (1815-1994) Solothurn (1515-today) Basel (1815-1833) Basel-Landschaft (1833-today)


Type of Location: National Tripoint

Current or Historic: Historic Border

Period of the tripoint: 1815-1994

URL: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log a visit, please post a photo of the location you took yourself. If you cannot provide a photo your visit will still be welcome, but then tell us a bit more about your visit, please.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Tripoints and Multipoints
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.