Chapelle St Blaise, Ballancourt sur Essonne, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Gatinaise
N 48° 31.107 E 002° 22.133
31U E 453395 N 5374118
Quick Description: Vestiges de la chapelle Saint-Blaise à Ballancourt sur Essonne / Remains of the chapel Saint-Blaise in Ballancourt sur Essonne
Location: Île-de-France, France
Date Posted: 3/1/2017 10:13:49 AM
Waymark Code: WMV62D
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 10

Long Description:
Les ruines de la chapelle se trouvent le long d'un chemin près du château du Saussay à Ballancourt sur Essonne.

"La chapelle est construite à l'instigation de Thierry de Galeran pour l'abbaye de Morigny. En 1159, elle est rétrocédée avec l'église de La Ferté-Aleps à l'ordre des chevaliers du Temple. L'ordre des Hospitaliers, à qui échoient les terres comprenant la chapelle, la maison et la ferme après la dissolution de l'ordre des Templiers en 1312, l'érige en commanderie en 1356. Pendant la Révolution, l'ensemble est vendu comme bien national au général Canclaux, commandant de l'armée de l'ouest, et propriétaire du château du Saussay, qui détruit méthodiquement tous les bâtiments, à l'exception du chœur de la chapelle dont les vestiges sont encore visibles." (visit link)

"La chapelle de la Commanderie était dédiée à Saint-Blaise, et l'on y célébrait, au XVIIe siècle, la messe un jour par semaine. En 1649, lors du blocus de Paris, dans la crainte du pillage, on ferma cette chapelle, après en avoir retiré les ornements et vases sacrés" (visit link)

Le petit + (visit link)

***********************************************

(EN) The ruins of the chapel are along a path near the castle of Saussay in Ballancourt sur Essonne.

"The chapel was built at the instigation of Thierry de Galeran for the Abbey of Morigny and in 1159 it is retroceded with the church of La Ferté-Aleps to the order of the knights of the Temple.
The Order of the Hospitallers erects it in commandery in 1356.

During the Revolution, the whole was sold as national property to General Canclaux, Commander of the army of the west, and owner of the castle of Saussay, which methodically destroyed all the buildings, except the choir of the chapel whose remains are still visible." (visit link)

"The Chapel of the Commandery was dedicated to Saint-Blaise, and in the seventeenth century the Mass was celebrated one day a week. In 1649, at the time of the blockade of Paris, in fear of looting, this chapel was closed , After having removed the sacred ornaments and vases" (visit link)

The little + (visit link)
Name of Military Order: Knights Templar

Link documenting charitable acts: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Posters must have physically visited the location. Uploading an original photo is strongly encouraged.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Legacy of Medieval Spiritual Warriors
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
Gatinaise visited Chapelle St Blaise, Ballancourt sur Essonne, France 6/16/2015 Gatinaise visited it