Schloss Biberstein - Biberstein, AG, Switzerland
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member fi67
N 47° 24.795 E 008° 04.994
32T E 430841 N 5251496
Quick Description: Biberstein Castle was built by the Habsburgs in the 13th century; it was sold to the Knights Hospitaller in 1335; in 1499 it was occupied by Bern, who were forced to compensate the order in 1535.
Location: Aargau, Switzerland
Date Posted: 2/28/2017 2:19:30 AM
Waymark Code: WMV5RM
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Benchmark Blasterz
Views: 5

Long Description:
EN: Biberstein Castle is located on a rock near the shore of the river Aare. The castle has the outline of a irregular octagon and is connected by a covered wooden bridge with the economy buildings outside the moat.

The castle was built in the 13th century by the Counts of Habsburg-Laufenburg. It is first mentioned in a document in 1280. The castle should secure a supposedly strategically important position at the river crossing. The high expectations were not met, so the Habsburgs sold the castle already in 1335 to the Order of St. John from Klingnau. In the Swabian War the castle was occupied by Bern, and in 1527 they installed a bailiff. After the resistance of the Federal Diet, Bern bought the property in 1535 from the Order of St. John.

In 1587, the castle was severely damaged by arson. The original keep was demolished in 1670 due to disrepair and replaced by a lower building. So the original castle over the years has been slowly changed to a chateau. Another fire in 1784 went out lightly. 1804 came the castle into the possession of the canton of Aargau and 1835 in private ownership. In 1984 it was renovated, which led to a fire in the attic again. Since 1987, the castle serves as a living and training center for adults with mental disabilities.

DE: Schloss Biberstein befindet sich auf einem Felsen nahe dem Ufer der Aare. Das Schloss hat den Grundriss eines unregelmässigen Achtecks und ist über eine gedeckte Holzbrücke mit mit den Ökonomiegebäuden vor dem Burggraben verbunden.

Die Burg wurde im 13. Jahrhundert von den Grafen von Habsburg-Laufenburg errichtet. Sie wird 1280 erstmals in einem Dokument erwähnt. Die Burg sollte eine vermeintlich strategisch wichtige Position am Flussübergang sichern. Die hohen Erwartungen wurden aber nicht erfüllt, so verkauften die Habsburger die Burg schon 1335 an den Johanniterorden von Klingnau. Im Schwabenkrieg wurde das Schloss von Bern besetzt, und 1527 ein Landvogt eingesetzt. Nach dem Widerstand der Eidgenössischen Tagsatzung kaufte Bern 1535 die Güter vom Johanniterorden.

1587 wurde die Burg durch Brandstiftung schwer beschädigt. Der ursprüngliche Bergfried wurde 1670 wegen Baufälligkeit abgetragen und durch ein niedrigeres Gebäude ersetzt. So wurde die ursprüngliche Burg im Laufe der Jahre langsam zu einem Schloss. Ein weiterer Brand 1784 ging glimpflich aus. 1804 gelangte das Schloss in den Besitz des Kantons Aargau und 1835 in Privatbesitz. 1984 wurde es renoviert, wobei es erneut zu einem Brand im Dachstock kam. Seit 1987 dient das Schloss als Wohn- und Ausbildungsstätte für Erwachsene mit geistigen Behinderungen.
Name of Military Order: Knights Hospitaller

Link documenting charitable acts: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Posters must have physically visited the location. Uploading an original photo is strongly encouraged.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Legacy of Medieval Spiritual Warriors
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.