By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

3 Public Square - Lawrenceburg Commercial Historic District - Lawrenceburg, TN
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 35° 14.465 W 087° 20.078
16S E 469554 N 3899829
Quick Description: Building Number 18 on the NRHP map.
Location: Tennessee, United States
Date Posted: 2/14/2017 6:48:19 AM
Waymark Code: WMV2YN
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Math Teacher
Views: 1

Long Description:

County of building: Lawrence County
location of building: 3 Public Square
Historic Occupant: Opera House and Gibbs & Belew store
Occupant at listing: White's
Current Occupant: JB Tumble
Building built: ca. 1865

"18. 3 Public Square
  White's
  Former Lawrenceburg Opera House and Gibbs & Belew store
  ca. 1865
  Two-part commercial block. Two-story brick, rectangular plan, hipped roof, corbeled brick cornice with sawtooth and dogtooth brick detail, 6 segmental arched windows on second floor, altered storefront with recessed entries, transom windows covered, brick foundation. (C)" ~ NRHP Nomination Form


"The city of Lawrenceburg is situated on a 400 acre tract of land which the North Carolina legislature granted to John Thompson on April 14, 1792. An act of the General Assembly of Tennessee, passed on November 23, 1819, later confirmed this initial land claim. When the new county's seven commissioners (including David Crockett) selected a seat of government in 1819, they chose Thompson's parcel, largely because it laid squarely on the route of the Military Road, an important federally-supported 516 mile long thoroughfare from Columbia to New Orleans. The land also stood only four miles southeast of the county's geographic center.

The new town was arranged around a central square, two acres in area, being sixteen poles wide (east to west) and twenty poles long. (This makes the public square a rectangle, actually.) The four main streets branching from the square were each four rods, or 66 feet, wide. Streets and lot lines were run at magnetic variation of 13 degrees north, rather than oriented to true north. The four main streets were Pulaski (headed eastward), Waterloo (headed westward), and running north to south, North and South Military streets. At the center of the square, where the streets would meet, stood the county courthouse lot. The initial courthouse was a two-story brick courthouse that was first occupied in 1821.

The square initially was divided into sixteen large lots, with those on the north and south sides having a frontage of 49 1/2 feet wide by 132 feet deep while those on the east and west sides were 66 feet wide and 99 feet in length. The lot arrangement currently found in the public square dates to the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries when several of the initial large city lots were subdivided into smaller parcels to make way for new businesses and offices.

"The nominated district includes all of the historic public square area. Ironically the most important missing element is the courthouse itself. In the 1960s, the county demolished a circa 1905 courthouse, replacing it with a strikingly modern courthouse on West Gaines Street. The lot for the courthouse, along with historically significant monuments to David Crockett and the Mexican War, is still intact in the center of the square. This area presently serves as a city park, complete with landscaping, a fountain, and park benches.

"Contributing resources (C) are significant to the commercial and architectural development of the district, possess compatible design elements, and maintain the scale and use of the district. Non-contributing resources (NC) have little or no architectural significance, have lost their integrity or they do not fall within the period of significance. In the inventory, the current name of the building is given first and the historic name, when known, is listed second. ~ NRHP Nomination Form

Name of Historic District (as listed on the NRHP): Lawrenceburg Commercial Historic District

Link to nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com page with the Historic District: [Web Link]

NRHP Historic District Waymark (Optional): [Web Link]

Address:
3 Public Square, Lawrenceburg, TN 39464


How did you determine the building to be a contributing structure?: Narrative found on the internet (Link provided below)

Optional link to narrative or database: [Web Link]

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest NRHP Historic Districts - Contributing Buildings
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.