By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Le pont suspendu de Chasse-sur-Rhône - France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
N 45° 34.847 E 004° 46.732
31T E 638777 N 5049011
Quick Description: Le pont de Givors et de Chasse est un pont suspendu qui enjambe le Rhône entre Givors (Rhône) et Chasse-sur-Rhône (Isère). The bridge of Givors and Chasse is a suspension bridge that spans the Rhone between Givors (Rhone) and Chasse-sur-Rhone (Isère
Location: Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes, France
Date Posted: 2/11/2017 1:32:49 PM
Waymark Code: WMV29N
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Dorcadion Team
Views: 1

Long Description:
En 1832, le conseil municipal était appelé à délibérer sur l’utilité d’un pont suspendu sur le Rhône qui mettrait en communication la ville de Givors et le département voisin de l'Isère. Par suite d'une décision prise en Conseil de Préfecture le 12 septembre 1834, adjugeant la construction du dit pont, une Société Civile ayant pour objet l’exploitation de péage concédé par l’Ordonnance Royale du 28 janvier 1834, fut fondée le 15 décembre 1834. Les travaux commencèrent le 10 janvier 1835.
Le nouveau pont fut ouvert au public le 1er janvier 1837 sous les conditions suivantes : " Tous les jours de foires, de fêtes baladoires ou publiques et dans toutes les occasions qui amèneraient un concours de passants, les concessionnaires feront établir un préposé à chaque extrémité du pont, chargé de veiller à ce qu’il ne s’engage pas, sur ce pont, plus de quatre cents personnes à la fois, s’il s’agit d’une foule composée d’hommes, femmes et enfants : plus de deux cent cinquante s’il s’agit d’une troupe de soldats, infanterie ou cavalerie portant armes et bagages: plus de dix voitures à un ou plusieurs chevaux, ces derniers ne représentant pas plus de poids que les premiers par mètre courant.
Le pont de Chasse n’avait point résisté à la première épreuve; le 3 juin 1836, vers sept heures du soir, il s’écroula alors qu’on le chargeait de pierres et quatre personnes se noyèrent. L’épreuve définitive eut lieu le 1er juin 1839 et le pont donna toute satisfaction. Il ne connut alors pas d’autre histoire jusqu’au 13 mars 1887 où sa remise à l’administration, en affranchissant la population d’un péage jusque là perçu, fut l’occasion d’une grande fête publique. Les pavillons situés à l'entrée du pont sont les bureaux de l’octroi, installé en mai 1887. Wikipedia

In 1832 the municipal council was called to deliberate on the usefulness of a bridge suspended on the Rhone which would put the town of Givors in communication with the neighboring department of Isere. As a result of a decision taken at the Prefecture Council on September 12, 1834, awarding the construction of the said bridge, a Civil Society whose object was the toll exploitation granted by the Royal Order of January 28, 1834, was founded December 15 1834. The work began on 10 January 1835.
The new bridge was opened to the public on January 1, 1837 under the following conditions: "Every day of fairs, public festivals or public festivals, and on all occasions that would bring in passers-by, the dealers will have an attendant established at each end of the Bridge, which is responsible for ensuring that no more than four hundred persons are engaged on this bridge at the same time, in the case of a crowd of men, women and children. Two hundred and fifty in the case of a troop of soldiers, infantry, or cavalry bearing arms and baggage: more than ten carriages with one or more horses, the latter being no more weight than the first per meter running.
The Chasse bridge had not resisted the first ordeal; On 3 June 1836, about seven o'clock in the evening, he collapsed as he was loaded with stones and four people drowned. The final test took place on June 1, 1839, and the bridge gave all satisfaction. He knew no other history until March 13, 1887, when his surrender to the administration, by freeing the population of a toll previously perceived, was the occasion of a great public feast. The pavilions located at the entrance of the bridge are the offices of the grant, installed in May 1887. Wikipedia
Wikipedia Url: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
To post a visit log to this waymark you need to visit and write about the actual physical location. Any pictures you take at the location would be great, as well.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Wikipedia Entries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.