Grandhotel Pupp - Karlovy Vary, Czech Republic
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member ToRo61
N 50° 13.197 E 012° 52.736
33U E 348690 N 5565239
Quick Description: Grandhotel Pupp - Karlovy Vary
Location: Karlovarský kraj, Czechia
Date Posted: 1/27/2017 10:52:31 AM
Waymark Code: WMTZA3
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member bluesnote
Views: 18

Long Description:
The town of Karlovy Vary is located in the western part of the Czech Republic at the confluence of the rivers Teplá and Ohre (Eger), about 120 km from Prague. It is the largest and most famous spa town in the Czech Republic.

Karlovy Vary - the former Carlsbad - was named for Holy Roman Emperor (and King of Bohemia) Charles IV, who founded the town in 1370. It is renowned for its curative waters that have supported a fashionable spa culture for several centuries.

The first of Grandhotel Pupp buildings was the so-called Saxony Hall, which was built by the order of the then Lord Mayor Deiml in 1701. In doing so, the Mayor of Deiml laid out the base outline for the later hotel constructions.

At the time when the glory of the Saxony Hall began to rise, another Lord Mayor Mr Andreas Becher began to govern the Carlsbad town hall. He also owned a piece of in the floodplain at the river bend and he wanted to have his own so called “Lusthaus“. That is why he built it at a right angle to the Saxony Hall, approximately in the place of the current Mirror Hall and the Grandrestaurant Pupp. Right from the beginning they began to call it the Czech Hall, separating it from the Deiml Hall.

In the year 1760 a native of Veltrusy Jan Jirí Pop came to Carlsbad, who previously worked as a confectioner to Count Rudolf Chotek. Here, he took a job with the local confectioner Mitterbach. In 1775, he marries Mitterbach’s daughter Františka who bought one third of the Czech Hall from the widow of Mayor Becher. In the following year, Františka bought the second third and in 1776, her husband, who by this time already called himself "Johann Georg Pupp", bought the last third. In the same year, he also started his own business.

Throughout the 19th century, the business grew significantly and in 1890, the Pupp family, now represented by the brothers Anthony, Julius and Heinrich, achieved the ownership of the original Saxony Hall. In this year the family also formed a joint stock company. Six years later the business is handed over to the Viennese architects Fellner and Helmer in order to transform the “Etablissement Pupp”. The collection of individual buildings was eventually, in 1907, incorporated in neo-baroque “Grandhotel Pupp”.

Years 1922-23 were the climax of construction and modernization of the entire hotel. Every room has its own bathroom with warm and cold water. Yet the biggest achievement was before the Second World War, when the Pupp family was finally able to buy the last of the required buildings, the so-called House of God’s Eye - today Café Pupp.

In 1951, the hotel was renamed to "Grandhotel Moscow", but in year 1989 returned back to its tradition and its original name Grandhotel Pupp.
Website: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Please provide another photo of the location. You don't have to be in there shot, but you can. The photo requirement is to discourage any armchair visiting.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Satellite Imagery Oddities
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
Team Cobra JJ visited Grandhotel Pupp  - Karlovy Vary, Czech Republic 4/1/2018 Team Cobra JJ visited it
DrakMrak visited Grandhotel Pupp  - Karlovy Vary, Czech Republic 7/3/2017 DrakMrak visited it

View all visits/logs