All Saints Church Chimera - Standon, Staffordshire, England.
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Poole/Freeman
N 52° 54.735 W 002° 16.166
30U E 549127 N 5862758
Quick Description: Chimera on the window of All Saints Church in the village of Standon.
Location: West Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 1/23/2017 10:27:19 AM
Waymark Code: WMTYC4
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member fi67
Views: 8

Long Description:
The Chimera can be seen on the window to the left of the door. The window is a pointed-arch, picked out with a raised stone surround and Chimera headstops at their end.

All Saints Church is a traditional Church of England church located north-west of the town of Stone in Staffordshire and is part of the Diocese of Lichfield. It is located in village of Standon which sits among plentiful and beautiful farmland, which has been farmed for centuries. The Church is situated on Mill Lane at the crossroads with Church Lane and Rock Lane.

The Church building dates from 1086 and is mentioned in the Domesday Book and Church records date from 1558.

"Immediately before the Conquest Siward held Standon, and in 1086 it was held by Brian from Robert of Stafford. A priest was recorded at that time."
Further description of the church can be found on the following website. (visit link)

The building was restored by Sir George Gilbert Scott in 1846. The west wall of the nave and north aisle date from the Norman period. The church tower was built in the fourteenth century.

All Saints Church is a Grade 1 listed building -
"C12 in origin, the west wall of the nave being largely Norman, and also the north aisle. Norman north doorway in west wall of nave. C14 west tower. Chancel probably by Scott, who restored the church in 1846-7. C12 font. C15 brass in nave floor. Incised slabs to Francis Ross, 1500, and to Nicholas Hyde 1526. Good alabaster tablet in vestry to Sir Thomas Salt, 1904. Graded for architectural interest." Source:- (visit link)

"The Parish Church, All Saints, was rebuilt in 1847, except the middle aisle, and the tower, which contains five bells.
The rectory is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev Joseph Salt."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Water spout is used: no

Condition: Lightly Weathered

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Gargoyles and Chimeras
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.