Waynesboro Cumberland Presbyterian Church Bell - Waynesboro, TN
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 35° 19.265 W 087° 45.793
16S E 430627 N 3908918
Quick Description: This is still an active church with Sunday Service at 10am and Worship at 11am.
Location: Tennessee, United States
Date Posted: 1/21/2017 6:05:04 AM
Waymark Code: WMTXZ3
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member rjmcdonough1
Views: 1

Long Description:

County of church: Wayne County
Location of church: High St. & Water St., just north of court circle, Waynesboro
Phone: (931) 722-9321
Building built: 1854

Waynesboro Cumberland Presbyterian Church is a historic church of the Cumberland Presbyterian denomination on High Street in Waynesboro, Tennessee.

"Situated in the center of Waynesboro (population 2,109), county seat of rural Wayne County, Tennessee, the Waynesboro Cumberland Presbyterian Church is an excellent example of mid-nineteenth century rural ecclesiastical architecture. The two story church, which also housed a Masonic Hall on the second floor, is laid out on the rectangular hall plan common to many rural Tennessee Protestant churches. Exterior decoration includes a gable covered with sawn wooden shingles, a shingled open belfry, and round arch windows.

"The church is a two story common bond brick structure, three bays by five, and rectangular in plan. The building rests on a continuous limestone foundation, and is topped by a front gable roof. Over the central entry is an open wooden belfry. At the east end of the two story main block is a corbeled interior gable end chimney.

"The second floor, which housed the Masonic Hall until about 1967, is a large rectangular room of similar dimension to the sanctuary. Four twoover-two light arched windows set in rectangular frames are spaced equally on the north and south walls. The floor is of black and white tiles and the ceiling of narrow beaded wooden siding. Raised platforms are located at the east and west ends. The room retains the same appearance it had in the years it was occupied and used by the Masons.

"The present building was constructed in 1854, according to records of the Masonic Lodge which shared the building for many years. The Masons were organized under a charter granted July 7, 1846. The Lodge's records are continuous from 1854. An entry for October 10 of that year states: "On that date a group of Masons and members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church marched, accompanied by a band, from their former meeting place to the present location of the church and lodge hall and laid the cornerstone for the present church building." Records indicate that the cost of materials for the building was $300.00. Services evidently were held here soon afterwards, but all records for this early period were destroyed during the Civil War and the accompanying domestic disturbances which paralyzed the Wayne County area. During most of the conflict, services were discontinued, and the building occupied for a while by troops." ~ NRHP Nomination Form

Address of Tower:
110 North High Street, Waynesboro, Tennessee 38485


Still Operational: yes

Number of bells in tower?: 1

Relevant website?: [Web Link]

Rate tower:

Tours or visits allowed in tower?: Unknown

Visit Instructions:
Please post an original picture of the tower taken while you were there. Please also record how you came to be at this tower and any other interesting information you learned about it while there.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Bell Towers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.