1925 - First United Methodist Church of Burkburnett - Burkburnett, TX
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member QuarrellaDeVil
N 34° 05.922 W 098° 34.347
14S E 539437 N 3773181
Quick Description: Built in 1925, the First United Methodist Church is located at 301 E 4th St, Burkburnett, TX.
Location: Texas, United States
Date Posted: 1/8/2017 7:03:12 AM
Waymark Code: WMTV0V
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member saopaulo1
Views: 0

Long Description:
A 2008 Texas Historical Marker provides some background:

Burkburnett Township's Methodists began attending church services on Sixth Street in the early 1900s, in a one-room frame building that was a combination school, church, and social gathering place. M.W. and Lula Majors, who moved to the new town of Burkburnett to open a store, were instrumental in finding the Methodist congregation its own home. Lula, a former schoolteacher who also helped build the town's first schoolhouse, joined with preacher Frank L. McGehee and other active Methodists in a campaign to build a sanctuary, earning her the name "Mother Majors."

Banker and philanthropist John G. Hardin helped several city churches develop through loans and donations, including the Methodist church that built a frame sanctuary at 5th Street and Avenue C. The church acquired a bell for the steeple, and the first organ came from the Nesterville Schoolhouse on Gilbert Creek. The congregation held its first service on April 12, 1908. Hiram A. Boaz, president of Polytechnic College in Fort Worth and later elected Methodist Bishop, delivered the first sermon in the new church. The Methodist Conference named circuit rider McGehee the first pastor, and he preached here one Sunday a month.

The church experienced periods of expansive growth along with Burkburnett, especially following the oil boom of 1918 and again with the enlargement of nearby Sheppard Air Force Base after World War II. The congregation built a new brick sanctuary in 1925 and added an education wing in 1957. The First United Methodist Church of Burkburnett has made contributions to the community for more than a century.
Year of construction: 1925

Full inscription:
[Masonic compass and square] Laid By Burkburnett Lodge, A.F. & A.M. No. 1027 -- Rev. M.L. Hamilton Pastor. Bldg. Com. R.H. Henry Chairman. R.E. Fisher. J.S. Mills. W.S. Duvall W.R. Hill. J.H. Brumley. P.B. Browning. ----- Jno. W. Westbrook, Archt. ----- Reid & Costley, Contrs. ----- A.D. 1925.


Cross-listed waymark: Not listed

Visit Instructions:

When logging a visit to a waymark in this category, please provide one or more photos taken by yourself, and note down your impressions and any background information you may have.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Dated Buildings and Cornerstones
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.