Knights of Pythias - Viroqua Downtown Historic District - Viroqua, WI
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member mrjcanger
N 43° 33.313 W 090° 53.349
15T E 670496 N 4824637
Quick Description: The Christ H. Ostrem Building was built in 1914. This building housed a General store on the first floor and a Knights of Pythias lodge on the second.
Location: Wisconsin, United States
Date Posted: 11/16/2016 11:11:30 AM
Waymark Code: WMTFEH
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member bluesnote
Views: 2

Long Description:
This 1914 Twentieth Century Commercial style building was believed to have been designed and built by La Crosse architects Parkinson & Dockendorff. The original design for the building housed the Christ H. Ostrem General Store on the first floor. The second floor was built for the Knights of Pythias to house a lodge and club rooms. The general store was used until at least 1934. It is unknown how long the Kights of Pythias used the second floor. Later the building was occupied by Lam's Ear Country Gifts. Today it is the home of Bluedog Cycles. The building still has two original tiles on the second story Main Street façade which read "C.H.O." and "1914". The building is included as a contributing building to the NRHP Viroqua Downtown Historic District.

Link to WI Historical Society article on building - (visit link)

Link to NRHP download about the historic district including the building - (visit link)
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Knights of Pythias
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.