Last structure remaining on original site - Fort McCoy, WI, USA
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member mrjcanger
N 43° 57.902 W 090° 43.389
15T E 682653 N 4870510
Quick Description: Built min 1911, Building 6017 is the only remaining structure from the original site of then Sparta Military Installation.
Location: Wisconsin, United States
Date Posted: 10/18/2016 10:34:50 AM
Waymark Code: WMT98M
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member bluesnote
Views: 1

Long Description:
In 1906 the Unites States Congress passed legislation allowing for a military base in Wisconsin. In 1907, the Sparta Military installation was built. In 1911, building 6017 was built and known as the ordinance magazine. It was built at the time for a low bid of $3,971. Today it sits as a historic reminder of where the post, which is now Fort McCoy, was. It is the last remaining structure on the original military installation boundaries. Though it is on Fort McCoy, it is on an area open for the public to visit. Please do not try and visit this site when training vehicles are present on post. Parking is available near the building. It's between the post housing and the Fort McCoy Airport on 13th Avenue.
parking coordinates: N 43° 57.914 W 090° 43.367

Related links: Not listed

additional Related links: Not listed

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Last of its Kind
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.