Christ Anglican Church - Woodstock, NB
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member T0SHEA
N 46° 06.532 W 067° 34.145
19T E 610581 N 5107138
Quick Description: Standing along the east side of River Road (Highway 165), Christ Anglican Church is surrounded by the large Anglican cemetery, the original cemetery in the Woodstock area.
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Date Posted: 10/15/2016 1:58:50 PM
Waymark Code: WMT8QJ
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Marine Biologist
Views: 0

Long Description:
The Anglican Parish of Woodstock was formed in 1786, the first church being erected in 1804 or 1805. That first church stood near the north end of the cemetery which surrounds the present church. Though historical accounts are somewhat convoluted, it seems that the old church was consecrated and named Christ Church on Sunday, August 16, 1835, with the present church being built to the south of the first in 1867.

Though it is stated that the original Christ Church was "an humble little wooden building, with no pretensions toward architectural beauty", the present church exhibits slightly greater pretension toward architectural beauty. Though mostly Gothic Revival in style, it shows some Victorian influence, mostly in the decorative barge boards on each of the gable ends. Though of Medieval origin, barge boards became quite popular with Victorian architects.

The bell tower/steeple of the church is of the type now seldom seen, very small, attached to the peak of the gable roof, very thin and nearly two dimensional. Today covered in plywood with a sheet steel roof, it is apparent that it has had some remedial work done over the years. For most of its life it was most likely shingle clad. A pull rope is still attached to the bell within.

On three sides of the church is the cemetery, today known as Woodstock Anglican Cemetery, the first cemetery to be established in the area, which was first settled by British Empire Loyalists emigrating from the U.S. Find a Grave lists 1293 known burials, though there are almost certainly unmarked graves in a cemetery this old. The oldest known interment was that of Samuel Woodward, who died June 7, 1791. There were at least nine burials prior to 1800.

The first Anglican church was built in 1804 and stood about in line with the present church on the river road, but some little distance further north, towards the upper end of the graveyard. It only gave place to the present church in 1867. The frame of the original church was first raised on a lot of land at the north west corner where the main river road and the Hodgdon road meet but shortly afterwards it was removed to the site where it was completed, and, about the same time, the remains of some few of the early settlers, buried in the old location, were reinterred in the present churchyard. For upwards of a century, with brief intermissions, three rectors ministered in Woodstock, Reverend Frederick Dibblee, Reverend S. D. Lee Street and Venerable Thomas Neales.
From Archive Org
One of the first things that marked this period [early 1790s] was the building of a church at Woodstock, on a spot near where now stands the parish church. This first church was an humble little wooden building, with no pretensions to architectural beauty, or even for the comfort of the worshippers - with neither pews nor stove for some years. Towards its completion the House of Assembly made a grant of £150.

During Mr. Street's early years, as he travelled over his vast mission with untiring zeal, he held services in private houses, and sometimes in barns — for the houses were of small size as a rule, and there was as yet only one church, the parish church at Woodstock, in the whole mission.

During the rectorship of Rev. S. D. Lee Street, the town of Woodstock sprang up about three miles above the parish church, and grew so rapidly that it became necessary to erect a church there. This was done on the spot where St. Luke's now stands, the land having been generously given by Richard Smith, Esq.

Sunday, August 16 [1835] — The weather was unfavourable, but the old church was crowded at eleven, when it was consecrated and named Christ Church.
From the book Progress of the Church of England in the Seven Rural Deaneries of the Diocese of Fredericton


Photo goes Here Photo goes Here
Photo goes Here Photo goes Here
Photo goes Here Photo goes Here Photo goes Here
Photo goes Here Photo goes Here
Photo goes Here Photo goes Here

Active Church: Yes

School on property: No

Date Built: 1/1/1867

Service Times: 10:30 AM Sunday

Website: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Take a picture of the Church. Please try to keep your GPSr out of the photo.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Anglican and Episcopal Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.