Stained Glass Windows - St Margaret - Crick, Northamptonshire
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 52° 20.847 W 001° 08.249
30U E 626865 N 5801315
Quick Description: Stained glass windows in St Margaret's church, Crick.
Location: East Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 8/30/2016 2:35:20 AM
Waymark Code: WMRZRH
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member veritas vita
Views: 1

Long Description:
The chancel east window was installed in 1863 the inscription reads: “This window is inserted by C. L. Swainson and Harriet his wife.” It is not known who the manufacturer or designer were.

"The Reverend Charles Swainson played a prominent part in setting up the first non-paying schools in Crick and also in their subsequent management.
In 1846 land was purchased from the owner of the Wheatsheaf Inn and a national school was soon built in 1847, mostly funded by bequests and endowments from local people. It provided education for boys. Today the building is the home of the Crick Club, which provides various social facilities.
Swainson also played a major role in setting up a free school for the education of girls of the village. He acquired two old cottages from a William Bucknell in 1846, had them demolished and erected a school on the site. Both the site acquisiticn and building costs were met by Charles Swainson. Today, this former infants and girls school serves as a community building and is known to all as "The Old School".
Today this former infants' and girls' school houses an IT centre and continues as a Village Amenity for meetings, lunches, classes and social gatherings.
The trustees of this building are the Rector, Church Wardens and two others.
There was much poverty in Crick during Charles Swainson's incumbency but, in spite of this, he seems to have masterminded a number of important changes between 1839 and 1863. He also donated valuable silverware for use on the church altars, but his most impressive gift is still much in evidence, the magnificent and much admired stained glass contained in the Chancel East Window which was installed in 1863 in memory of his family. The main panels represent four evangelists with St John the Baptist in the centre. The smaller panels (from left to right) represent St Timothy and his mother (to commemorate Mr Swainson's mother), St Barnabas, the Patron Saint of Merchant Taylors School where Charles Swainson was educated, the Tomb after the Resurrection and, finally, the Centurion at the Cross."

SOURCE - Information sheet inside church

There are fragments of 16th century Flemish stained glass incorporated into the north aisle window.
Type of building where window is located: Church

Address:
St. Margaret of Antioch
Church Street
Crick, Northamptonshire England
NN6 7TP


Days of Operation: Daily

Hours of Operation: From: 12:00 AM To: 12:00 AM

Admission Charge: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
Please include additional photos of the window or windows at this location. Provide additional information regarding the window/s if you are able.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Stained Glass Windows
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.