By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Border Stone of Rappertshäusern - Möhlin, AG, Switzerland
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member fi67
N 47° 34.880 E 007° 52.093
32T E 414893 N 5270389
Quick Description: Rappertshäusern was a town in what is today Northwest Switzerland. It became extinct in the 17th century. A border stone from 1602 is all that is left visible.
Location: Aargau, Switzerland
Date Posted: 7/11/2016 7:15:01 AM
Waymark Code: WMRN1G
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member lumbricus
Views: 5

Long Description:
EN: Rappertshäusern was a town on the current territory of Möhlin. The town was first mentioned in 1376. It was located northeast of Möhlin, in an area that is forested again today.

The inhabitants were mainly farmers, fishermen and sailors. The village was looted and destroyed by Swedish troops between 1633 and 1638, the community never recovered of this damage. Precise information is missing, but by the end of the 17th century the village was abandoned and began to disappear in the growing forest. There are various legends that link the disappearance of Rappertshäusern (or Abbizüs) with the Black Death.

Some border stones are all that is still visible of Rappertshäusern, some of them were also taken to the local museum of Möhlin. This one is located on a forest road, which leads from Möhlin to the Rhine in a northeasterly direction. The border stone stands on the southern side of the road; on one side the letters "RAP" are shown, the other one bears the Austrian coat of arms (the area belonged to Further Austria until the late 18th century).

DE: Rappertshäusern war eine Gemeinde auf dem heutigen Gemeindegebiet von Möhlin. Die Ortschaft wurde 1376 erstmals erwähnt. Sie befand sich nordöstlich von Möhlin in einem Gebiet, das heute wieder bewaldet ist.

Die Bewohner waren vor allem Bauern, Fischer und Schiffer. Das Dorf wurde zwischen 1633 und 1638 von schwedischen Truppen geplündert und zerstört, von diesen Schäden erholte sich die Gemeinde nie mehr. Genaue Angaben fehlen, aber Ende des 17. Jahrhunderts war das Dorf aufgegeben und begann zu verwalden. Es gibt verschiedene Sagen, die das Verschwinden von Rappertshäusern oder Abbizüs mit der Pest in Verbindung bringen.

Einige Grenzsteine sind alles, was von Rappertshäusern noch sichtbar ist, z.T. wurden diese auch ins Ortsmuseum von Möhlin gebracht. Dieser befindet sich an einem Waldweg, der von Möhlin in nordöstlicher Richtung zum Rhein führt. Der Grenzstein steht am südlichen Wegrand; eine Seite zeigt die Buchstaben "RAP", auf der anderen ist das österreichische Wappen (die Gegend gehörte bis zum Ende des 18. Jahrhunderts zu Vorderösterreich).
Terrain:

Parking: Not Listed

Recommended access: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
  • At least one own photo of the place is required.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Remains of Settlements
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.