St Peter - Shackerstone, Leicestershire
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 52° 39.422 W 001° 26.904
30U E 604948 N 5835249
Quick Description: There has been a church dedicated to St Peter in Shackerstone since the beginning of 13th century. In 1416 the Church was acquired by the Augustine Order who were instrumental in the rebuilding of the church largely in its present form.
Location: East Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 6/11/2016 8:19:45 AM
Waymark Code: WMRD1Q
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Dorcadion Team
Views: 1

Long Description:
"There was a Saxon settlement at Shackleton and the village was included in the Domesday Book as ‘Sacrestone’ which could have the meaning of ‘Robbers Farmstead’. After the Norman invasion the church was held by the Priory of Coventry and there would have been a church on the site probably at that time. In the 13th century we have the record of a Matthew Saracenus as rector in 1220 so we know a church was here by then.

The Augustinian Order via the Prioress of Harewold acquired the church in 1416. The Prioress was the major factor in rebuilding the church during this time, and the church tower dates from this period.
At the end of the first English Civil War in 1646 the Rev. John Hodges was brought before a parliamentary sequestration committee for deserting his parish to join the Royalists at Ashby de la Zouch. They charged him with frequenting the alehouse on Sundays and ejected him from the living. By 1811 when Nicholls, “History of Leicestershire” was published the church had fallen into disrepair and the south aisle was in ruin, the parish is also described as ‘poor’. In fact in 1789 the parson could not afford to stay in the village due to lack of a ‘living’ and moved as a curate to Arden in Warwickshire. He states that the previous rector had run down the parsonage and had died insolvent in gaol. The vicarage was “so entirely let down as that no sign remains of there ever having been one”.

Early in the 19th century the patronage of the church passed to the Howe family of Gopsall Hall (sadly knocked down in the 1950’s). In 1845 Lord Howe rebuilt or renovated nearly the whole church apart from the tower. The chancel was shortened by a bay, the south aisle was rebuilt and the nave and north aisle restored. He also installed the present box pews and balcony. In 1898 and 1900 further work was undertaken and the roof underwent major repairs. In 1920 the east window was installed as a memorial to the men of the village who lost their lives during the First World War. In 1945 another glass window was installed at the east end of the north aisle for a parishioner who died during World War II.

The church is sited in the centre of the village surrounded by small streets and houses. It looks and feels like a typical small English rural village and it plays its part very well. The church itself is light and airy and they have an interesting display on the history of the church and village. There is also plenty going on around the village with its nice canal-side walks, or even a trip on the railway and back to Bosworth Field."

SOURCE - (visit link)
Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.