By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Central Mine - MI
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member kJfishman
N 47° 24.229 W 088° 10.953
16T E 410776 N 5250718
Quick Description: Central Mine was once a booming mining town with a population in excess of 1200 people. A few homes still stand and foundations.
Location: Michigan, United States
Date Posted: 6/10/2016 9:09:30 AM
Waymark Code: WMRCTQ
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member lumbricus
Views: 5

Long Description:
Central Mine was once a booming mining town with a population in excess of 1200 people. In 1854 native copper was discovered in an ancient pit dug by prehistoric miners. The Central Mining company was formed in 1854 and abandoned in 1898.A few buildings still survive and old foundations can be found from buildings that didn't survive,



"One of the most noteworthy historical sites in Keweenaw County is Central, or Central Mine, a village that once was the home for over 1,200 people, and the site of one Keweenaw's most successful mines. The mine, opened in 1854, produced nearly 52 million pounds of copper by the time it closed in 1898.

Several miners' homes and buildings still stand on the site. In 1996, the Keweenaw County Historical Society acquired 38 acres of the old Central site. Some of the residences are being restored, and a Visitors Center provides interpretive exhibits not only about the mine but also about the miners' families, homes, schools and churches.
Central House 25

House 25, across the street from the
church on Stagecoach Road, tells the
story of Jane Bryant, a widow who
lived near the church.

Two hiking trails opened in 2005, a fun way to see the various sites in Central. The trails are 1/4 mile and 1/2 mile long through the woods. They provide views of several house foundations, a glimpse at the site of the school house, as well as a magnificent view of the valley from the top of the upper rock pile.


Central Reunion

Visitors leaving the 104th Annual
Central Reunion in 2010.

Descendants of Central mining families gather each year, on the last Sunday in July, at the old Methodist Episcopal Church for the Central Reunion. The church, erected in 1868, with its distinctive battlemented tower reflecting the Cornish ancestry of many Central families, closed in 1903. It is reopened on each Reunion Sunday for a service of tribute to the hardy pioneers of all faiths from all the early copper mines that dotted Keweenaw County. The year 2011 will mark the 105th anniversary of these reunions. Visit the Central Mine Methodist Church web site for information on the Reunion and church history.

One of the most memorable and peaceful parts of your visit to Central Mine should be a walk in The Central Memorial Garden located directly across the street from the visitor's Center. Click here for additional photos and information about the garden.

While the Central Mine site is open year-round the Visitors Center is open from mid-June through early October. Please respect the privacy of dwelling occupants when touring the mine site. Donation requested."
(visit link)
Terrain:

Parking: Not Listed

Recommended access: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
  • At least one own photo of the place is required.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Remains of Settlements
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
wildernessmama visited Central Mine - MI 8/19/2018 wildernessmama visited it
Leader1 visited Central Mine - MI 7/29/2016 Leader1 visited it

View all visits/logs