By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

St. Rochus Church (Wollseifen), North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member kaschper69
N 50° 34.800 E 006° 25.466
32U E 317658 N 5606287
Quick Description: The former Church of St. Roch was the Roman Catholic parish church of the former village and today deserted Wollseifen in the city of Schleiden in Euskirchen (Nordrhein-Westfalen).
Location: Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
Date Posted: 6/8/2016 12:58:12 AM
Waymark Code: WMRCDQ
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member MountainWoods
Views: 3

Long Description:
[DE] "Die ehemalige Kirche St. Rochus war die römisch-katholische Pfarrkirche des ehemaligen Dorfes und heutigen Wüstung Wollseifen im Stadtgebiet von Schleiden im Kreis Euskirchen (Nordrhein-Westfalen). Die ehemalige Kirche ist unter Nr. 169 am 7. August 2002 in die Denkmalliste der Stadt Schleiden eingetragen worden.

Die Kirche von Wollseifen geht auf eine mittelalterliche Kirche zurück. Belegt sind Gottesdienste in einer Kirche in Wollseifen für das Jahr 1470. Anfang des 17. Jahrhunderts wurde die damalige Kapelle in barocken Formen erweitert und am 21. Oktober 1635 zur Pfarrkirche erhoben. 1660 wurde die Pfarre selbstständig. 1665 wurde der Turm erhöht und erhielt einen neuen Turmhelm. 1843 wurde eine Orgelbühne eingebaut und 1906 ist die Kirche durch die Gebr. Kurthen ausgemalt worden. 1939 bekam die Kirche eine neue Orgel der Orgelbaufirma Weimbs aus Hellenthal. Im Jahr 1946 wurde die letzte heilige Messe in der Kirche gefeiert. Das Dorf musste innerhalb von wenigen Wochen geräumt werden, da auf dem Gelände der Truppenübungsplatz Vogelsang entstand. Aufgrund der militärischen Nutzung wurde die Kirche bis auf die Außenmauern zerstört. 1947 brannte die Kirche komplett aus, wodurch die gesamte Innenausstattung verloren ging.
Nachdem der Truppenübungsplatz Vogelsang im Dezember 2005 aufgegeben wurde, war auch Wollseifen für die Öffentlichkeit wieder zugänglich. Durch den Förderverein Wollseifen wurde die Kirchenruine bis August 2008 grundlegend gesichert. Kirchenschiff und Chor bekamen einen neuen Dachstuhl mit Schiefereindeckung, sowie neue Fenster. Das Kirchturmdach, welches nach dem Krieg von den Belgiern errichtet wurde, bekam ebenfalls eine neue Schiefereindeckung. Außerdem wurde der alte Wetterhahn der Kirche wieder auf das Kreuz gesetzt und befindet sich nun an seinem alten Platz. Im Innenraum der Kirche wurde der Schutt entfernt, der vom eingestürzten Gewölbe stammte, und der alte Fußboden freigelegt. Zum Abschluss der Renovierungsarbeiten wurde ein schlichtes Holzkreuz im Chorraum aufgestellt, sowie drei einfache Holzbänke. Am 17. August 2008 konnte der Abschluss der Arbeiten mit einer Messe zum St. Rochus Fest gefeiert werden."

[EN] "The former Church of St. Roch was the Roman Catholic parish church of the former village and today deserted Wollseifen in the city of Schleiden in Euskirchen (Nordrhein-Westfalen). The former church was registered under no. 169 on 7 August 2002 to the list of monuments of the city Schleiden.

The Church of Wollseifen goes back to a medieval church. Occupies the worship in a church in Wollseifen for the year 1470. early 17th century the former chapel was extended in baroque forms and collected on October 21, 1635 to the parish church. 1660, the parish became independent. 1665 the tower was raised and received a new spire. 1843 organ loft was built and in 1906 the church was painted by the Gebr. Kurthen. 1939 church got a new organ of the organ builder Weimbs from Hellenthal. In 1946, the last Holy Mass was celebrated in the church. The village had to be evacuated within a few weeks, because on the grounds of the military training area Vogelsang arose. Due to the military use the church was destroyed down to the outer walls. 1947 church burnt down completely, whereby the entire interior was lost.
After the military training area Vogelsang was abandoned in December 2005, also Wollseifen was again open to the public. Through the Friends Wollseifen the ruined church was until August 2008 fundamentally assured. Nave and choir were given a new roof with slate roofing, and new windows. The church tower roof, which was built after the war by the Belgians, also got a new slate roofing. In addition, the old weathercock of the church was put back on the cross and is now located in its original place. Inside the church of the debris was removed, who came from the collapsed vault, and exposed the old floor. At the conclusion of the renovation work, a simple wooden cross was erected in the choir, and three simple wooden benches. On August 17, 2008 the completion of the work with a Mass for St. Rochus ceremony was celebrated."
Wikipedia Url: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
To post a visit log to this waymark you need to visit and write about the actual physical location. Any pictures you take at the location would be great, as well.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Wikipedia Entries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
kaschper69 visited St. Rochus Church (Wollseifen), North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany 6/8/2016 kaschper69 visited it