Victor-Neels-Brücke Schleiden - NRW / Germany
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Iris & Harry
N 50° 35.550 E 006° 27.058
32U E 319584 N 5607612
Quick Description: Die Victor-Neels-Brücke ist eine Stahl-Hängebrücke mit vier Seilen, die seit 2009 den Urftsee im Nationalpark Eifel überspannt. The Victor-Neels Bridge is a steel suspension bridge with four ropes, which spans the Urftsee the Eifel National Park since of 2009.
Location: Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
Date Posted: 4/10/2016 2:58:04 AM
Waymark Code: WMQXBR
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Marine Biologist
Views: 4

Long Description:
Source: (visit link)

"Ziel und Zweck des Brückenbaus war es, für Radfahrer und Wanderer eine Verbindung zu schaffen, um vom Urftseerandweg – sowohl von Gemünd als auch von Rurberg/Urftsperrmauer kommend – auf die Höhe jenseits des Sees zur ehemaligen „NS-Ordensburg Vogelsang“ zu gelangen.

Vor dem Zweiten Weltkrieg gab es an dieser Stelle im Bereich der Lorbach-Mündung in die Urft – zu einem See verbreitert erst seit 1909 durch den Talsperrenbau – eine Fährverbindung zum 1934 erbauten NS-„Reichsschulungslager“.

Nach dem Krieg lagen Urftsee und Vogelsang im Sperrgebiet des Truppenübungsplatzes Vogelsang und waren nicht öffentlich zugänglich.

Nach dem Abzug der belgischen Truppen am 1. Januar 2006 und Wiederöffnung des Gebietes für Touristen wurde der Fährbetrieb nicht wieder aufgenommen, so dass zunächst eine direkte Verbindung zwischen dem Urftsee-Rad- und Wanderweg und dem „Lernort“ (Gedenkstätte) Vogelsang nicht möglich war. Auch vom Kermeter aus fehlte die Verbindung. Dieses infrastrukturelle Manko änderte sich erst mit dem Brückenbau im Jahre 2009."

EN:
"Purpose of bridge construction was to provide a connection for cyclists and hikers to the Urftsee-hiking and biking trail - to reach the level beyond the lake to the former "Ordensburg Vogelsang" - both of Gemünd and of Rurberg / Urftsperrmauer coming.

Before the Second World War, there was at this point in the Lorbach estuary in the Urft - to a river widened only since 1909 by the dam construction - a ferry connection to the 1934 built Nazi "Reich training camp."

After the war Urftsee and Vogelsang were in the restricted area of ??the training area Vogelsang and were not publicly available.

After the withdrawal of Belgian troops on 1 January 2006 and re-opening the area to tourists the ferry service was not resumed, so that first has not been a direct link between the Urftsee-hiking and biking trail and the "place of learning" (Memorial) Vogelsang possible , Also from Kermeter of missing the connection. This infrastructural shortcoming changed with the bridge in 2009."
Wikipedia Url: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
To post a visit log to this waymark you need to visit and write about the actual physical location. Any pictures you take at the location would be great, as well.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Wikipedia Entries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.