
Antonio de Franchi Lutzardo - Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife
Posted by:
dtrebilc
N 28° 25.021 W 016° 33.003
28R E 348175 N 3144376
This life size bust represents Antonio de Franchi Lutzardo, the founder of the city of Puerto de la Cruz.
Waymark Code: WMQT56
Location: Islas Canarias, Spain
Date Posted: 03/26/2016
Views: 9
"Second name, third owner of the house and primogeniture Franchi, patron of the chapel of the Holy Kings and other pious foundations of his family, captain of Spanish infantry and perpetual alderman of Tenerife in 1585.
He was a founder of the Puerto de la Cruz in 1603, formed by special commission of the council to which he belonged, founded the parish church of Our Lady of the Rock of France and began the fortification of that port, building two platforms with artillery in the old Port and raising other trenches and repairs. twice in the towns defence covered himself with glory, valiantly defeating the pirates who threatened him and forcing them to flight (1605 and 1611)" Details extracted from this
genealogical website.
The statue has the a plaque with the following text.
J. ANTONIO FRANCHI LUTZARDO
Y PONTE DEL CASTILLO
REGIDOR PERPETUO
DE LA ISLA DE TENERIFE
EN EL 1603 FUE COMISIONADO POR EL CABILDO PARA SENALAR SITIO PARA CONSTRUIR LA PARROQUAY LA PLAZA DE ESTE PUERTO.
LEVANTO LAS PRIMITIVAS FORTIFICACIONES YA DESAPARECIDAS Y PARTICIPO ACTIVAMENTE EN SU DEFENSA.
SENALO EL TRAZADO DE SUS CALLES EL PUERTO DE LA CRUZ RECONOCE SU VALIOSA CONTRIBUCION AL DESARROLLO DE ESTA CIUDAD.
MAYO 1981
This can be roughly translated as
J. ANTONIO FRANCHI LUTZARDO
CAPTAIN OF INFANTARY
AND PERPETUAL GOVENOR
OF THE ISLAND OF TENERIFE
IN 1603 WAS COMMISSIONED BY THE COUNCIL TO BUILD THE SQUARE OF THIS PORT.
HE RAISED THE FIRST FORTIFICATIONS AND WAS ACTIVE IN ITS DEFENCE AGAINST PIRATES.
HE PLANNED THE LAYOUT OF ITS STREETS AND PUERTO DE LA CRUZ ACKNOWLEDGES THEIR VALUABLE CONTRIBUTION TO THE DEVELOPMENT OF THIS CITY.
MAYO 1981