St John the Baptist - Belton, Leicestershire
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 52° 46.979 W 001° 20.264
30U E 612109 N 5849424
Quick Description: St John the Baptist church, mostly 14th century, Belton, Leicestershire.
Location: East Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 3/5/2016 6:14:54 AM
Waymark Code: WMQMWY
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member lumbricus
Views: 2

Long Description:
"The church of St. John the Baptist is an ancient building of stone in the later period of the Early English style (late 13th century), consisting of chancel, nave of four bays with clerestory, aisles, south porch and a western tower with lofty spire, containing a clock and 3 bells, the former having been renewed as a memorial to parishioners who fell in the Great War; the bells have been rehung: the nave arcades have each four arches supported on octagonal piers with moulded capitals, and the oak roof is carried on angel corbels of stone, handsomely carved: the carved oak chancel screen, a work of the Perpendicular period, was thoroughly restored in 1894 as a memorial to Miss Louisa Blakeney: there are three piscinae, one in the chancel and the others at the east end of the aisles: on the north side of the chancel is a niche, probably used as a credence: in the two windows of the north aisle are remains of ancient painted glass, representing Edward III. and his queen, and the interior retains also a few ancient monumental tablets and tombstones with inscriptions, principally to the Toone family: in the north aisle is the restored upper slab of an altar tomb found in the chancel during the restoration, part of the tomb of Roesia de Verdun, foundress of Grace Dieu Priory, in this parish: at the east end of the south aisle is a memorial window to the late Charles Thompson M.D. erected by his widow, the lady of the manor: in the church was buried Francis Beaumont, justice of the Common Pleas, ob. 22 April, 1593; the church was restored about 1850 and in 1877: the old brick porch has since been replaced by one of stone, and the old pulpit by one of Caen stone with Purbeck marble pillars: there are 350 sittings."

SOURCE - (visit link)
Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Alancache visited St John the Baptist - Belton, Leicestershire 5/24/2018 Alancache visited it