St Nicholas's Priory - Monkton, Pembroke, Wales.
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member veritas vita
N 51° 40.512 W 004° 55.407
30U E 367006 N 5726665
Quick Description: St Nicholas's Priory, Pembroke (Monkton), was established as an alien priory of St Martin of Séez by Arnulf of Montgomery, earl of Pembroke. Now known as 'Priory & Parish Church of Saints Nicholas & John' Located in Monkton, Pembroke, South Wales.
Location: South Wales, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 1/26/2016 12:03:41 AM
Waymark Code: WMQAZJ
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Dorcadion Team
Views: 1

Long Description:
From the Monastic Wales website;
"St Nicholas's Priory, Pembroke (Monkton), was established as an alien priory of St Martin of Séez by Arnulf of Montgomery, earl of Pembroke. It was later granted to St Albans Abbey. Pembroke was a conventual priory and was thus intended for a full community of brethren rather than one or two monks; it may have comprised a prior and twelve monks but little is now known about the size of the community or recruitment.

Remnants of Pembroke (Monkton) Priory;
The priory church was ruinous by the nineteenth century and restoration work was undertaken. Much of what now stands and serves as the parish church of St Nicholas represents the nineteenth-century rebuilding of the church rather than the original design. Medieval fabric was incorporated within the modern rebuilding and includes a twelfth-century nave and a decorated, fourteenth-century choir. The medieval church was evidently long and narrow, extending over fifty metres but less than ten metres wide. The church was split between the monks, who occupied the east end, and the parishioners who used the nave; a stone screen likely separated the two. It seems that a prior’s chapel was situated to the east of the north flank of the nave, and this suggests a rather complex layout. The exterior of the north wall of the nave is now heavily buttressed but two twelfth-century windows indicate that the later church was rebuilt within the line of the original wall." Text Source; (visit link)

From the Church Gazetteer;
"The ancient church was originally within the castle of Pembroke and given to the Norman abbey of St Martin (Sayes) in 1098. The north nave wall, with buttresses, is from the ancient church. After the dissolution of the monasteries the church deteriorated, with only the nave in use for the parish; the choir and sancturary lost and windows blocked up. In the late 1800s it was restored and enlarged. The church belongs to the Monkton Rectorial Benefice, with ten other churches." Text source; (visit link) & (visit link)
Full name of the abbey/monastery/convent: Pembroke (Priory) also known as: Monkton; St Nicholas, Pembroke

Address:
13, Church Terrace, Pembroke, Pembrokshire, Wales. SA71 4LW


Religious affiliation: Benedictine - St Nicholas Medieval Diocese: St David's, Wales.

Date founded/constructed: 1098

Web Site: [Web Link]

Status of Use: Acitvely Used

Visit Instructions:
Describe your visit, including the date, with as much detail as possible, AND contribute at least ONE PHOTO, original, different from those already in the gallery, if possible.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Abbeys, Convents and Monasteries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
veritas vita visited St Nicholas's Priory - Monkton, Pembroke, Wales. 1/26/2016 veritas vita visited it