St John the Divine Anglican Church (1863) — Yale, BC
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Dunbar Loop
N 49° 33.752 W 121° 25.884
10U E 613431 N 5491174
Quick Description: The Church of St. John the Divine is an excellent example Gothic Revival style that has been preserved. Built in 1863 it functioned as a church until 1976 when it was donated to the Province of British Columbia as a historic site.
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Date Posted: 12/29/2015 12:54:29 PM
Waymark Code: WMQ6GX
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Marine Biologist
Views: 4

Long Description:
From HistoricPlaces.ca website:

STATEMENT OF SIGNIFICANCE

DESCRIPTION OF HISTORIC PLACE

The Church of St. John the Divine is an unadorned, simple wood-framed Gothic Revival style Anglican church located on the corner of Douglas and Albert Streets in the town of Yale, BC. The historic place is comprised of the church and its grounds, including the foundations of the former rectory and a large specimen copper beech tree.

HERITAGE VALUE

Constructed around 1863 as a Church of England, the Church of St. John the Divine is a significant reflection of the establishment of British social and religious institutions in colonial British Columbia. The church also has a significant historical value as an early centre for Anglican missionary work in the Fraser Canyon. The Church of St. John the Divine provided religious, social, and medical services, as well as formal education, to members of the local First Nation.

The Church of St. John the Divine is also valued as one of the oldest surviving churches in British Columbia. The location of the church on its original lot and its surrounding landscape features - such as the stone foundation of the former rectory and the specimen copper beech tree - provide valuable context of the town of Yale as it was during its heyday in the 1860s.

Architecturally, the Church of St. John the Divine is an excellent example of colonial wooden church architecture. Reputedly designed by Victoria architect John Wright and constructed by the Royal Engineers, the design of the church is significant as a vernacular adaptation of the Gothic Revival style, popular for churches of the nineteenth century. Interior elements, such as rafters and woodwork, remain intact and are valuable indicators of typical construction methods of the time. The evolution and growth of the church over time can be seen in the 1880s choir addition, and the vestry and furnace room, which were refurbished in 1954.

Source: BC Heritage Branch properties files

Date the Church was built, dedicated or cornerstone laid: 4/19/1863

Age of Church building determined by?: Other reliable source

If denomination of Church is not part of the name, please provide it here: Anglican

Street address of Church:
Douglas Street
Yale, BC Canada


Primary website for Church or Historic Church Building: [Web Link]

Secondary Website for Church or Historic Church Building: [Web Link]

If Church is open to the public, please indicate hours: Not listed

If Church holds a weekly worship service and "all are welcome", please give the day of the week: Not listed

Indicate the time that the primary worship service is held. List only one: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
1) A photo of the church is required for visits to a waymark.

2) Please share some comments about your visit.

3) Additional photos are encouraged. If you can have information in addition to that already provided about this church, please share it with us.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest This Old Church
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
gypsie2 visited St John the Divine Anglican Church (1863) — Yale, BC 8/26/2017 gypsie2 visited it
skramble visited St John the Divine Anglican Church (1863) — Yale, BC 9/6/2016 skramble visited it

View all visits/logs