Ellis Memorial Chapel - Penticton, BC
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member T0SHEA
N 49° 29.669 W 119° 35.596
11U E 312216 N 5485659
Quick Description: The first church built in Penticton, this little church was operated as St. Saviour's Anglican Church from 1905 until the completion of the new St. Saviour's Anglican in 1930.
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Date Posted: 12/23/2015 2:33:43 PM
Waymark Code: WMQ5E4
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Dorcadion Team
Views: 1

Long Description:
The church was built in 1891-92 in the eastern section of St. Saviour's Anglican Cemetery by Okanagan pioneer Tom Ellis, known as “the cattle king of the Okanagan”. Today the cemetery is better known as Fairview Cemetery. Prior to this, a small chapel was built in 1883 on the cemetery grounds, which was on Ellis land. Ellis sold the church to the Anglican congregation in 1905 for $1.

In 1934 the church was moved to this site beside the present St. Saviour's, built in 1929-30. It was faced with stone to match the larger building and attached to its southeast corner.

A British Columbia Heritage Marker (text from which is below) is mounted beside the iron gate on the walkway on Winnipeg Street leading back to the chapel. Unfortunately, the gate is usually locked, making it difficult to obtain more than a distant view of the chapel.

THE ELLIS MEMORIAL CHAPEL

This chapel is the original St.Saviour's Church, built by Okanagan pioneer Thomas Ellis on his ranch in 1892. Moved a mile north to this site In 1934, the old church was faced with stone and incorporated into the newer St.Saviour's. It is believed to be the oldest building in continual use in Penticton.
Sponsored by St.Saviour's Church

PROVINCE OF BRITISH COLUMBIA
1972


St. Saviour’s is the oldest continuing protestant congregation in the South Okanagan. The first Protestant church services were held in the drawing room of Rancher Tom Ellis’ home, who with his family were the first non-native settlers in the area. Mr. Ellis was originally from England, and he led the Planning for the new Town of Penticton. The original Anglican Church built in 1892, was named St., Saviour’s in gratitude to God for sparing the Ellis family from a tragic accident.

In 1934, the Chancel of St. Saviour’s was relocated from the original site on the Ellis homestead (Fairview Road Cemetery) to become part of the new Anglican Church at the corner of Winnipeg Street and Orchard Avenue. The Ellis Memorial chapel still stands at St. Saviour’s, and is Penticton’s oldest Historical Building.
From St. Saviour’s


Photo goes Here

Date the Church was built, dedicated or cornerstone laid: 1/1/1892

Age of Church building determined by?: Church website

If denomination of Church is not part of the name, please provide it here: Anglican

Street address of Church:
150 Orchard Avenue
Penticton, BC Canada
V2A 1X8


Primary website for Church or Historic Church Building: [Web Link]

Secondary Website for Church or Historic Church Building: [Web Link]

If Church is open to the public, please indicate hours: Not listed

If Church holds a weekly worship service and "all are welcome", please give the day of the week: Not listed

Indicate the time that the primary worship service is held. List only one: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
1) A photo of the church is required for visits to a waymark.

2) Please share some comments about your visit.

3) Additional photos are encouraged. If you can have information in addition to that already provided about this church, please share it with us.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest This Old Church
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.