All Saints - Sapcote, Leicestershire
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 52° 32.064 W 001° 16.864
30U E 616590 N 5821867
Quick Description: A church in Sapcote can be traced back to 1188, although the existing church probably dates from the end of the 13th century.
Location: East Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 12/21/2015 1:53:02 AM
Waymark Code: WMQ4ZW
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Dorcadion Team
Views: 2

Long Description:
"A church at Sapcote, of Gothic design, can be traced back to the 12th Century, but it is very likely that the present building was built on earlier foundations.
The oldest item in the church is the stone font which pre-dates the church itself. It dates back to the Normans in the 11th Century. It is now regarded as a precious item, but it suffered the indignity of being taken out of the church some two hundred years ago, to be dumped outside to catch rainwater. Fortunately a visitor spotted it out there and drew attention to it.
As is usually the case, the font is placed near the porch, so that people could view baptisms without going inside the church. The porch and main entrance is, unusually, on the north side of the church building. Whether by superstition or tradition, most churches of the period gain access through a south door.
The chancel, from whence the priests conduct the service, had remained virtually untouched over the centuries until 1843. It was then re-built, and the present attractive tie-beam rafters were added. The carving of the central whorl over the chancel is of the same design as that on the Norman font.
In 1837 an organ was purchased to replace the church orchestra.
It cost 140 guineas. The present organ was installed 18 years later.
The main body of the church, the nave, had a lead-covered flat roof until 1779. This was replaced by a pitched roof of Baltic pine. What is now the north aisle was at first a Chantry Chapel. The roof was raised and covered with local Swithland slates.
At one time there was a balcony at the east end of the nave, next to the tower wall. Recordings of it are sketchy but faint building lines show where it once was.
In 1778, money was spent on repairs, amounting to £122. The new south door was provided, at a cost of £2.15s.6d - £2.75 in our decimal currency.
A most unusual feature in the church is the hagioscope, also called a squint. It is a hole, over 4 feet long, cut into the north side of the chancel arch. This made it possible to watch the service in the sanctuary and at the Communion Table, so that people could see what was going on and feel a part of the worship.
Today it is appreciated by the organist at weddings, being able to see when the bridal party are about to enter the church.
The tower and the spire were probably erected together, shortly after the main body of the church. The tower is 60 feet in height, and square whereas the spire, rising a further 60 feet, is octagonal. At the top of the spire was a colourful weathercock, since replaced and given a non-rusting rod on which to turn.
A traditional feature of early churches, continued with undiminished enthusiasm by today’s worshippers, is bell-ringing. Intended to summon the faithful to worship, bell-ringing has become virtually an art form. Sapcote is blessed with 10 bells, one of only two in the county. The earliest one is inscribed 1611, the most recent came in 1977.
On the south side of the tower is the church clock, originally installed two hundred years ago. It had a square dial and only the hour hand. It was replaced in 1852 with a round dial and a minute hand.
On its face is a warning - "The Hour is Coming".
There are many interesting records of the various Rectors over the years. As a result of the Enclosure Act of 1778, the Rev Thomas Frewen Turner was given the job description of "Lord of the Manor of Sapcote, and Rector of the Parish Church".
It is no doubt a relief to the present Rector, Rev Mick Norman, that he is "to be ever exempt from keeping or finding either a bull or a boar for the use of the said parish".
In 1786 the Rector faced a dilemma. Worshippers tend to like sitting in a particular seat but at that time many seats were listed as "decayed and out of repair" and he was required to allocate the new seats in a "fitting, convenient and equitable manner". There came a list of names accompanied by the occupation :
Squire, Yeoman, Gardener, Weaver, Labouring Man, Innkeeper, Blacksmith, Maltster, Cordwainer, Framework Knitter, Tailor, Husbandman, Widow.
The Rector was also the Visitor at the "House of Industry", or Poor House, which was used between 1806 and 1840. It served the need to provide food and shelter for the homeless, though the regime was grim and did nothing for the inmates’ self-respect."

SOURCE - (visit link)
Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Alancache visited All Saints - Sapcote, Leicestershire 9/14/2017 Alancache visited it