Frisco Park - Amory, MS
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 33° 59.065 W 088° 29.340
16S E 362463 N 3761427
Quick Description: I was in this park on October 6th, 2015 and construction was still going on for the modernization of the park.
Location: Mississippi, United States
Date Posted: 11/14/2015 6:10:29 AM
Waymark Code: WMPZ29
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member DougK
Views: 2

Long Description:

County of park: Monroe County
Location of park: bordered by Main St., 1st Ave. S., 2nd Ave. S., and S. Front St., Amorty

Fast forward to October 29, 1953 and the sound of brass bands and railroad whistles. Over 5,000 people showed up to celebrate the gift of Frisco 1529 from the Frisco Railroad to the City of Amory. They would also witness the dedication of the new $200,000 Amory division office building of the Frisco railroad. During a speech by Governor Huge White at the dedication ceremony, he predicted that the retired locomotive will become a popular attraction for sightseers. “Within 10 years, there won’t be any steam engines left,” he said, “and this will probably be the only one in North Mississippi.”- Colleen Conger


"In 1887, officials of the Kansas City, Memphis, and Birmingham Railroad called for the survey of a railroad right-of-way connecting Birmingham, Alabama, and Memphis, Tennessee. Locating a point halfway between the two cities, the officials determined to start a town at that point named AMORY in honor of Mr. Harcourt Amory of Boston, Massachusetts. A town was platted with streets running parallel and perpendicular to the railroad track. To this day, this area is known as the Railroad Subdivision. In November of 1887, lots for businesses and residences were sold at auction, an event which attracted from near and far.

"Three miles west of the new town was a once-flourishing river town, Cotton Gin Port, the oldest town in Northeast Mississippi. At the close of the American Revolution, frontiersmen from the East and Southeast had fought their way into the area and established that town on the banks of the river where river trade and agriculture attracted additional settlers.

"The citizens of Amory today enjoy wide paved, tree-lined streets, a refurbished downtown with canopied walks, several additional business areas, new subdivisions, several school buildings, over twenty churches, a progressive hospital with dozens of doctors, several manufacturing facilities, parks, community organizations, a museum located in the original hospital building, two golf courses, a library, two community centers, and numerous ball fields.

"The early history of the town is commemorated each spring with a Railroad Festival and an old train engine, the Frisco Park Steam Engine, is on display in the downtown park.

"While passenger service is no longer available, the Frisco Railroad operates in Amory along with the smaller Mississippian Railway. The Tennessee Tombigbee Waterway has brought water traffic and barges through Amory Lock and Dam.

"With a population of approximately 8,500, the town acts as a host for the many guests of a benefit concert designed to raise money for scholarships, a project called Entertainment for Education. Along with the many nationally known stars, in 1998, the town welcomed His Royal Highness, Prince Edward, for whom these historical notes were compiled, based on papers from the Amory Regional Museum and local folklore." ~ City of Amory History

Name: Frisco Park

Street Location: Main St., 2nd Ave. S., 1st Ave., S., & Front St

Local Municipality: Amory

State/Province, etc.: Mississippi

Country: United States

Web Site: [Web Link]

Memorial/Commemoration: The Visit of Franklin D. Roosevelt, pulled into town by Engine 1529

Date Established: 1953

Picnic Facilities: A few tables

Recreational Facilities:
New Splash Pad opened in September 2015. If you Google this site, you will see a fountain, that is gone. The splash pad photo is in the gallery.


Monuments/Statues: Civil War Monument, City clock now dedicated to War of Terrorism victims and heoroes

Art (murals/sculpture, etc.): Civil War Monument with Confederate Soldier statue on top

Fountains: Splash Pad, fountain removed in 2015

Ponds/Lakes/Streams/Rivers/Beach: None

Special Events: Railroad Festival each spring

Traditional Geocaches: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
One photo of the park that is a different view from the one on the page, and give the date and description your visit.

Add any additional information that you may have about this park. A GPSr photo is NOT required.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Municipal Parks and Plazas
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.