St. Stephen's Anglican Church - Summerland, BC
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member T0SHEA
N 49° 36.029 W 119° 40.628
11U E 306563 N 5497654
Quick Description: The first Anglican church in Summerland, St. Peter's, was also the first church in Summerland. Built at an unknown time in the late nineteenth century, it was replaced by St. Stephen's in 1910.
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Date Posted: 11/11/2015 8:06:21 PM
Waymark Code: WMPYMG
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Marine Biologist
Views: 1

Long Description:
The laying of the cornerstone for St. Stephen's took place on 3rd October, 1909, the first service being held about six months later, on Easter Day, Sunday, 29th March, 1910. This is a beautiful old stone church, built of native field stone by an Italian stonemason.

Inside, the church holds many historical artefacts relating to the Church of England while, outside, at the rear of the church, is a remembrance garden and a wooden cross, around which the ashes of many parishioners are buried. On the back wall of the church is a large and striking mural, framed by a stone arch, making it appear as though one is looking through a window to the outside world.

Atop the church is a relatively small crenellated bell tower holding a single bell, surmounted by a tall wooden steeple, all clad in wood shingles.

See a more extensive history and description of the church and church grounds further below.


St. Stephen’s Anglican Church, on the corner of Prairie Valley Road and Rosedale Avenue in Summerland, is known as “The Stone Church” and was built in 1910.

In the last decade of the 1800s the earliest white settlers were being served by the Rev. Thomas Greene, itinerant Anglican priest. St. Peter’s Church was built on the site of the present Anglican cemetery on Giant’s Head Road in Summerland. The Rev. H.A. Solly came in 1907 as the first resident rector. Owing to overcrowding and the need for a central location, the cornerstone for St. Stephen’s Church was laid on October 3, 1909. Services began there March 27, 1910. The distinctive exterior of the church is of native fieldstone, now ivy-clad.
From St. Stephen's


Photo goes Here Photo goes Here
Photo goes Here Photo goes Here
Photo goes Here Photo goes Here

ST. STEPHEN'S ANGLICAN CHURCH HISTORY

The first Anglican church was also the first church in Summerland. Its name was St. Peter's and was located where the Anglican Cemetery is located on Giant's Head Road. St, Peter's became too small and it was decided a larger church, closer to the town of West Summerland should be built. Partially financed by the "Mother Church" St. Botolph's in Chevening, Sevenoaks, Kent, UK. The Foundation Stone was laid on 3rd October, 1909. The first service was held on Easter Day, Sunday, 29th March, 1910.

The church is built of orchard stone by an Italian Stonemason, Alfredo Biagioni, whose family still resides in Summerland.

THE BAPTISMAL WINDOW, called 'The Generations Window", was installed in 1985 to celebrate St. Stephen's 75th anniversary. An original design by Lutz Haufschild it depicts some of the children and adults baptised in this church. The adults clustered at the top are Priests who have served in Summerland and on the extreme top right is the designer. Lower left is Rev. Bob Matthews holding a newly baptised baby.

See the GARDEN OF REMEMBRANCE developed at the end of WWII to honour those who paid the supreme sacrifice. The ashes of many parishioners are buried around the centre wooden cross.

THE PARISH HALL beside the church was opened on 5th November, 2006.

The Mural... on the East exterior wall of St. Stephen Church was designed to commemorate its 100th Anniversary in 2010. Painted by Larry Hunter, local artist of Penticton, it reflects the style of artist Maxfield Parrish (1870-1966) whose work was famous at the time St. Stephen was built. Mr. Parrish's use of vibrant colour in scenes which emphasized the beauty of nature reflects local elements of the surrounding locale of St. Stephen. The large overhanging oak tree in the foreground echoes the heritage oak grown from an acorn on the Windsor Castle grounds in England. The Oak Tree is located near the roundabout. Planted in 1953 by Summerland Girl Guides to celebrate the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II, the background of water, hills and vegetation is reminiscent of the Okanagan Valley. We hope the mural speaks to you of the peace and tranquility of "The Garden of Remembrance".

Associated historical items include...
- A picture of St. Botolph's of Chevening, Kent, England and a brass rubbing from that church
- A replica of the church in fired clay on the table at the back of the church.
- The stone font under The Generations Window which has supported stone through to the basement.
- The four brass candlesticks at the front of the church made from the original brass Communion rail.
- Enlarged photographs of the church in the early days are displayed in the hallway.
- Two Brass Vases, donated by Grace Church, Hamilton, Ontario in 2006
- Old Brasses are located throughout the church. The eagle holding the bible; the christening vessel on the font; the collection plate to the right of the communion table; the tall candlesticks and the brass cross at the front of the church; and the portable bible stand on the communion table.
- The Oak Table, located at the back of the church, was the Council table used by the first elected Council in 1906.

A Heritage Designation Plaque... was donated by the Heritage Society of Summerland, and is located on the West exterior wall below The Generations Window.
From St. Stephen's Anglican

Date the Church was built, dedicated or cornerstone laid: 10/3/1909

Age of Church building determined by?: Cornerstone or plaque

If Church holds a weekly worship service and "all are welcome", please give the day of the week: Sunday

Indicate the time that the primary worship service is held. List only one: 10:00 AM

Street address of Church:
9311 Prairie Valley Road
Summerland, BC Canada
V0H 1Z0


Primary website for Church or Historic Church Building: [Web Link]

If denomination of Church is not part of the name, please provide it here: Not listed

If Church is open to the public, please indicate hours: Not listed

Secondary Website for Church or Historic Church Building: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
1) A photo of the church is required for visits to a waymark.

2) Please share some comments about your visit.

3) Additional photos are encouraged. If you can have information in addition to that already provided about this church, please share it with us.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest This Old Church
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.