Histon, Cambridgeshire
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 52° 15.103 E 000° 06.495
31U E 302616 N 5792975
Quick Description: Village sign for Histon, Cambridgeshire
Location: Eastern England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 9/21/2015 1:57:09 PM
Waymark Code: WMPMKE
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member bill&ben
Views: 2

Long Description:
"The sign became officially part of the village at a ceremony on the 2nd of February 1990. This ended convolutions of planning, design and fabrication which had lasted about three years and convinced all concerned that one village sign was enough for several lifetimes!

It began as a modest project, with a suggested site on the Village Green opposite the Co-Op. A design was produced. Time passed. The deliberations of the Parish Council ground on. The site was moved to the present one, but a street lamp was in the way. Could a light be incorporated in the sign(?!?!). The budget seemed to expand and ambition rather than economy seemed in order – the streetlight had to be five metres from the ground.

With many a ‘halt and hang up’ the sign progressed, a new design and drawings were made, A1 profiling, Swavesey made a superb job of cutting out the shapes in steel, Mike Mason curved bars on a monstrous machine, Ernie Froggat found a great oak post, John Phillips made a foundation of such solidarity that we ran out of ballast, and I cured myself of any wish to be a blacksmith! Eventually the sign was erected with the aid of a tripod originally used for repairing tanks in the desert during the last war. Any resemblance between this and ‘Dad’s Army’ was purely in the eye of the beholder.

The design includes ducks, strawberries, the church, a Percheron horse and Moses Carter the Histon Giant. The first three are fairly obvious, though Chivers Strawberry Jam may already be fading into history. Percheron Horses were first brought to this country from France by J.Stanley Chivers after the first World War. They were of national importance in the dissemination of the breed. Moses Carter lived from 1801 to 1860, was nearly seven feet tall, weighed over 23 stone and was strong as he was big."

SOURCE - (visit link)

A plaque on the sign reads:

HISTON VILLAGE SIGN
1990

Erected by Histon Parish Council

The sign shows:
DUCKS AND THE BROOK

THE CHURCHES

A PERCHERON HORSE
These horses were first brought to
this country from France by J.
Stenley Chivers after the First World
War.

MOSES CARTER,
THE HISTON GIANT
He lived from 1801 to 1860, was
nearly seven feet tall, weighed over
twenty three stone and was as strong
as he was big. In about 1847 he
carried a great stone fom the ballast
pit (near the level crossing on the
Oakington Road) to The Boot public
house. It is still there.

STRAWBERRY AND STRAWBERRY
LEAF
Histon strawberries were the
foundation of Chivers' famous
strawberry jam.

Designed and made by
Mike Gillespie
Sign Date: 2/2/1990

Location: Overlooking the village green

Plaque: yes

Construction Material: Metal

Artist: Mike Gillespie

Web Address: [Web Link]

Occasion Commemorated: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log a visit, a photograph of yourself or your GPSr by the village sign is required. Some description of your visit would be welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Pictorial Village Signs
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.