Walters Blacksmith Shop - Lunenburg, NS
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member T0SHEA
N 44° 22.562 W 064° 18.360
20T E 395955 N 4914468
Quick Description: Built in 1893, 1902 and 1924, this building was a blacksmith shop for about 112 years, having been in continuous use by the Walters Family until 2005.
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Date Posted: 9/9/2015 12:24:08 AM
Waymark Code: WMPJM2
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member TheBeanTeam
Views: 4

Long Description:
The "Then" photo here is one which hangs on the wall of the blacksmith shop/distillery. Judging from the dress of those in the photo, it was likely taken well before 1920, most likely sometime around 1900-1910. Both "then" and "now" photos are taken from the intersection of Montague and Kempt Streets, looking northeast.

Being a blacksmith shop in a shipbuilding town, we are not surprised to learn that this shop has had the good fortune to do the "shipsmithing", or ironwork, for a few legendary ships, well known names such as the "Bluenose” and “Bluenose II”, the "HMS Rose” and the “HMS Bounty” replica.

Very much original both inside and out, the building has become the home of the Ironworks Distillery, a micro distillery. Much of the interior of the building remains as it was as a blacksmith shop, with the distillery retaining the old, well worn wood floor and the brick forge fireplace, with its brick chimney angling its way to the gable roof. They've even retained much of the soot and charred wood on the walls and ceiling.


Photo goes Here
Photo goes Here

Walters Blacksmith Shop

DESCRIPTION OF HISTORIC PLACE
The Walters Blacksmith Shop is a turn-of-the-twentieth century wooden construction, gable-roofed, structure located at the corner of Kempt and Montague Streets in the Old Town Heritage Conservation District in Lunenburg, NS. It is one-and-a-half storeys on the Kempt Street façade and drops to include a lower storey on the Montague Street façade. The surrounding property is paved for industrial use. There are additions on the north and east ends of the building. It has retained original large windows and wide barn doors. Designation includes both the building and surrounding property.

HERITAGE VALUE
The Walters Blacksmith Shop is valued for its industrial architecture, its use a forge until 2005, association with the Walters family, and its role in the local shipbuilding industry, including the construction of the famed “Bluenose.” Thomas Walters bought the land in 1893 and erected the main portion of the building soon after. The rear extension was added in 1902, and the lean-to additions were added in 1924. The appearance of the building reflects its functionality and it has not been altered substantially from its original form. Large windows close to the street level illuminate the work area as well as display the blacksmith's products. Large doors in the gable end allow access to storage areas, and those on Montague Street are easily accessible for loading purposes. The Walters Blacksmith Shop is a key building in the industrial area of Old Town Lunenburg, where many craft shops relating to shipbuilding are still located. The Walters Blacksmith Shop is one of two blacksmith shops in the area, and has been in continuous use by the Walters family since 1893. The Walters Blacksmith Shop has the distinction of being the shop chosen to do the 'shipsmithing' (ironwork) for both the original “Bluenose” and “Bluenose II;” the "HMS Rose” and the “HMS Bounty” replica. Both the “Bluenose” and “Bluenose II” are Nova Scotia icons with strong connections to Lunenburg, and have been immortalized on the Canadian dime.

CHARACTER-DEFINING ELEMENTS
Elements that define the character of the Walters Blacksmith Shop reflect its long use as a forge, and its industrial architecture features, including:

- location of the shop in the industrial area of Old Town Lunenburg and in close proximity to both the waterfront and fellow small craft businesses relating to the shipbuilding industry;
- all interior features that relate to the blacksmith craft, including the two forge structures with brick chimneys, storage and display areas for products and equipment, the massive wooden plank floor in the front portion of the building opening onto Kempt Street, hooks and hardware made at the forge, the portion of the ship's mast formerly used to support the trip hammer used by the smith;
- all exterior features that relate to blacksmithing, including the large eight-over-eight windows on Montague Street and nine-pane window on Kempt Street allowing visibility for both passersby and the smith, and the louvred cupola allowing ventilation at the roof peak;
- all features that relate to typical industrial architecture in Lunenburg, including the shingled wall surface, painted with a deep grey paint and barn-red trim, the large double barn doors set in the gable end, smaller barn doors on the Montague Street facade allowing accessibility to goods, as well as in this case for horses and larger merchandise, and the massive stone foundation of the main building.
From Historic Places Canada

Year photo was taken: ca 1910

Visit Instructions:

To log a visit to each spot you are required to take your own photo. Alternatively you can tell a story about your own experience at the location or any unique information about that location to count as a visit.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Photos Then and Now
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.