The Lewis and Clark Expedition Across Missouri - St. Charles Visit - St. Charles, MO
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 38° 46.539 W 090° 28.972
15S E 718664 N 4294889
This one not easy to see unless you are looking for it, on Katy Trail between monument and camp site. The watercolors in the photo gallery are on the marker and used as such.
Waymark Code: WMP33F
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 06/21/2015
Published By:Groundspeak Regular Member MountainWoods
Views: 7

County of marker: St. Charles County
Location of marker: foot of Boonslick Rd., Bishop's Landing, St. Charles
Marker erected by: Missouri Department of Natural Resources & The Lewis and Clark Historic Trail
Produced by: The City of St. Charles & The Greater St. Louis Chapter, Lewis and Clark Heritage Trail Foundation

Marker text: The Corps of Discovery left Camp Dubois on May 14, 1804, and headed up the Missouri River to St. Charles. The corps arrived on May 16 and was greeted by a number of local residents. Co-commander William Clark was in command for this leg of the journey since Meriwether Lewis was still wrapping up last minute business in St. Louis. Lewis rejoined the expedition on May 20, a day before the departure from St. Charles.

   "...we arrived at St. Charles at 12 o'Clock ... a number Spectators french & Indians flocked to the bank to See
   the party. This Village is about one mile in length, Situated on the North Side of the Missourie at the foot
   of a hill from which it takes its name Petiete Coete [petite côte] or the Little hill...."
   William Clark, May 16, 1804

Clark described St. Charles as containing about 450 residents, mainly French-Canadian and mixed-blood parentage, living in 100 small frame houses lining a single, mile-long street running parallel to the river at the foot of the hills for which the town was originally named (Les Petite Côtes or Little Hills). Lewis expanded on Clark's description, noting that the village contained a chapel and that the houses were "generally small and but illy constructed." He characterized the residents as "miserable pour, illiterate, ad when at home excessively lazy, tho' they were polite hospitable and by no means deficient in point of natural genious." He added that "they live in a perfect state of harmony among each other."

The town was the headquarters for the St. Charles District of Upper Louisiana, and the last major jumping off point for upriver journeys. It was officially founded in 1787, but had been a settlement since the 1760s when Louis Blanchette settled there with other French-Canadian Catholics. The men of the town were mainly hunters, traders and engagés (hired French boatmen), but two large common fields were used for agriculture pursuits and another large common field served as a source of firewood and for the grazing of stock.

While in St. Charles, William Clark dined on several occasions with François Duquette (a local merchant) and his "charming wife" (so described by Clark), Mary Louisa Bauvis Duquette. They lived in a house surrounded by orchards and a garden near the corner of present Second and Decatur Streets (the original stone church of St. Borromeo was later erected in 1827 on this property after Madame Duquette sold the lot to the Catholic diocese). François Duquette was born in Quebec, Canada, in 1774 and came to this country as a young man, landing first st Ste. Genevieve, where he met and married his wife in 1794. The Duquettes then came to St. Charles around 1797, where François established himself as a fur trader and dealer in other foods. He also invested heavily in lands and became staunch supporter of the Catholic faith in St. Charles. He died in 1816, and his wife survived for another 25 years, becoming a highly respected citizen of the town.

Marker text with images:
These watercolor portraits of French Creoles were painted by Anna Maria von Phul in 1818 and depict the range of Creole classes from the "miserably poor, illiterate" common folk described by Meriwether Lewis to members of the genteel class, like François Duquette and his wife, Mary Louisa, who were described by William Clark as "an agreeable man [and] more agreeable lady, this Gentleman has a Delightful Situation & garden."
Courtesy of Missouri Historical Society Museum Collections, St. Louis

Web link: [Web Link]

History of Mark:
More than 200 years ago two brave men launched one of the most amazing adventures of all time. President Thomas Jefferson asked Meriwether Lewis and William Clark to find a route to the Pacific coast. You may know them as the famous Lewis & Clark.

In 1804, they left from Saint Charles to explore new lands from Saint Charles to the Pacific Ocean. During their journey, Lewis and Clark came face-to-face with many wild animals, discovered unknown plants and encountered many Indian cultures. The Lewis and Clark Boat House and Nature Center is a great place to learn more about the path Lewis and Clark took. The gift shop is filled with the unusual Indian artwork they found during their travels

Additional point: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
A clear picture of the Marker or Plaque taken by you.
Also would appreciate you input on the text and location.
Search for... Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Missouri Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
petendot visited The Lewis and Clark Expedition Across Missouri - St. Charles Visit - St. Charles, MO 06/21/2015 petendot visited it