125th Anniversary - Siloam Springs, AR
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 36° 11.155 W 094° 32.604
15S E 361219 N 4005673
Quick Description: On the wall at the creek and spring near the intersection
Location: Arkansas, United States
Date Posted: 1/10/2015 6:38:22 AM
Waymark Code: WMN77K
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member lumbricus
Views: 1

Long Description:

County of mark: Benton County
Location of mark: On wall near spring in City Park, at University and College Streets, Siloam Springs
Stone Set by:: Key Lodge A.F.&A.M.
Date mark erected: June 24, 2005

Text of old mark:

Siloam Springs
1st Anniversary
JUNE 24, 1880
1897

Page 4 of the article in the link provided below explains the date confusion of this mark.

Text of white mark:

125th Anniversary
Siloam Springs, Arkansas
June 24, 1880
June 24, 2005


History of Siloam Springs
Our earliest history dates to 1835 when Simon Sager settled on a farm one mile west of what is now the City of Siloam Springs. The 28 springs along the creek were named in his honor, "Sager Creek". His original dwelling has been restored and is now located on the campus of John Brown University.

"The first settlement was called Hico, and in 1884 Caldeen D. Gunter settled there. At about this time the Hico Post Office was established. This was later moved to Siloam City (Siloam Springs). Hico was a prominent trading post with the Cherokee nation and consisted of two stores and a mill.

"In 1879 it was discovered that the waters contained medicinal qualities and the establishment of a summer resort began. The first anniversary of the town was celebrated on the 24th of June. In March 1880, J.V. Hargrove laid out the original plat of Siloam City. The name was later changed to Siloam Springs. Due to the reputation gained as a summer resort and the prospect of the railroad through town, the town was incorporated during its first year of existence on December 22, 1881, with a population of over 3,000. After this initial "boom" many of the transient residents returned to their homes and the population dwindled to about half. This was the only time in the history of the town that the population dwindled so rapidly.

"The first newspaper for the town of Siloam Springs was established in 1880 by Thomas Gallagher and was know as the "Sun". Other early papers were the Globe, Arkansas Herald, and the Locomotive.

"In 1892 the town experienced a great flood which took two lives and destroyed much of the downtown area. Rebuilding began immediately and, since that time, the town has sustained a steady growth pattern.

"The coming of the railroad in 1897 stepped up the economy of western Benton County. Orchards, poultry products, hides, wool, beef and all agricultural products found a ready market with the City of Siloam Springs serving as the shipping point and trade center. This trade center remains today, and is a great advantage to industry.

Subject: City

Commemoration: 125th

Date of Founding: June 24, 1880

Date of Commemoration: June 24, 2005

Address:
University St. & College St City Park Siloam Springs, AR


Overview Photograph:

Yes


Detail Photograph:

Yes


Web site if available: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
  • Artistic Photograph of Location. Make it from a new angle to show something new. Pictures can include interaction, as that is encouraged, but should be done so with the thought of inspiring further visitation of the area. No GPSr Pictures, unless there is something significant to show about the coordinates.
  • In your description, tell us something new you learned about the area and your impressions of the waymark.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Community Commemoration
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.