By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Kennesaw House
Posted by: Groundspeak Charter Member mtn-man
N 33° 57.158 W 084° 33.063
16S E 726306 N 3759606
Quick Description: Kennesaw House has a long, storied career in Marietta. The old name is painted on the building facing the RR tracks. It is now an office and museum. It is one of the few buildings Sherman's troops did not burn.
Location: Georgia, United States
Date Posted: 8/23/2006 6:47:01 PM
Waymark Code: WMN5T
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member OpinioNate
Views: 78

Long Description:
This is taken from the official web site for the old Kennesaw House, which is now the Marietta Museum of History.


Built as a cotton warehouse by John Glover in 1845, the Kennesaw House is one of Marietta's oldest buildings. Dix Fletcher purchased the warehouse in 1855, and after remodeling it, opened the Fletcher House Hotel in its place. During the early years of the Civil War, the hotel was used as a Confederate hospital and a morgue. In addition, Andrews' Raiders stayed in a second floor room on the evening prior to their theft of the steam engine, "The General."

As the war was nearing its end in July of 1864, the Union Army took over the building, and when General Sherman came through town on his "March to the Sea," he did not burn the Fletcher House. Sherman spared the hotel because Dix Fletcher was a Mason and because his son-in-law, Henry Cole, was a Yankee spy. However, the fourth floor did catch fire as ashes from other burning buildings blew onto the roof, and the fourth floor was not rebuilt.

After repairs to the Fletcher House were completed in 1867, Dix Fletcher reopened the hotel, and renamed it the Kennesaw House. The Kennesaw House remained a hotel until the 1920s, when the first floor was converted to retail shops, leaving the hotel on the second and third floors.

In 1979, the building was gutted, and converted into an office complex. Various businesses and restaurants occupied the building for the next 14 years, until the Downtown Marietta Development Authority purchased the building. Then, under the direction of Marietta City Councilman Dan Cox, the second and third floors were completely renovated to house the Marietta Museum of History on the second floor and offices on the third.

The Marietta Museum of History officially opened to the public on January 13, 1996, with two galleries, an Executive Director, and volunteer staff. Today, the museum occupies the second and third floors of the Kennesaw House, and has three galleries, five full time staff, a Board of Directors, and a large number of volunteers.

These are a couple of historical images of the House.
Notice the words "Kennesaw House" on the 1890's photo!

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Ghost Signs
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
kb10bo visited Kennesaw House 6/18/2014 kb10bo visited it
Sprinterman visited Kennesaw House 11/10/2007 Sprinterman visited it
Lat34North visited Kennesaw House 7/18/2007 Lat34North visited it
GA Cacher visited Kennesaw House 9/14/2006 GA Cacher visited it

View all visits/logs