B&O RR station - Barnesville, Ohio
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member buffalohiker
N 39° 59.320 W 081° 10.391
17S E 485214 N 4426513
Quick Description: B&O RR station - 300 E Church St, Barnesville, Ohio. Built 1917.
Location: Ohio, United States
Date Posted: 12/8/2014 6:14:49 PM
Waymark Code: WMN1RG
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member superstein
Views: 1

Long Description:
From Wikipedia: The depot was opened in 1916 and was heralded by the local newspaper as "long needed and greatly desired.” The depot was the site of many city events, including troop send-offs during World War I, World War II, and the Korean War, as well as several Farmers' markets held on the site.

The Chesapeake and Ohio Railway took over the B&O Railroad and operated the depot as offices and freight depot until 1983, when they vacated the "eastern division."

The building sat vacant and was primarily opened for the Barnesville Pumpkin Festival for exhibits on the early years of Barnesville and the history of the railroad and its impact on the town. The Barnesville Area Chamber of Commerce occupied the depot as offices from late 1990s until 2006, when they moved to a site in downtown Barnesville.

The depot has been the center of activity as the Governor's Rails to Trails program will place a path along the old railway route from the depot to the east end of the town limits and may lead to an extension of the trail to the western limits as well.

The depot is built in a Federal style with Spanish Mission elements. The building is a rectangular one-story structure built with buff red bricks in Flemish bond with a stone water table. The depot is surrounded by a brick road leading uphill to Church Street (the depot sits in a depression 30 feet lower than the city).

Flat arched windows are double-sashed and contain either 6/6 or 4/4 panels and are set back from the exterior wall. A central door surrounded by a fanlight and side panels rest in the middle of the building. To either side of the door is a window and an unadorned pilaster. A double panel window lights either side of the building. The last 8 feet of the building then sets back from the footprint.

The roof protrudes about 5 feet from the wall and is supported by solid molded brackets. The roof is tiled in a reddish colored clay. The roof is protruded by a Mission-style dormer, the window is surrounded by a pillar topped by a stone ball. The dormer rises in a step/curved pattern to an arch. The stylized window lights the waiting room below.

The design of the depot reflects many others built by the B&O Railroad during the early 1900s.
Is the station/depot currently used for railroad purposes?: No

Is the station/depot open to the public?: Yes

If the station/depot is not being used for railroad purposes, what is it currently used for?:
museum


What rail lines does/did the station/depot serve?: B&O

Station/Depot Web Site: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Please post an original picture of the station/depot taken while you were there. Please also record how you came to be at this station/depot and any interesting information you learned about it while there.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Train Stations/Depots
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
buffalohiker visited B&O RR station - Barnesville, Ohio 10/15/2014 buffalohiker visited it