"Girdled Road" - Concord, Ohio
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member oiseau_ca
N 41° 39.156 W 081° 13.485
17T E 481285 N 4611230
Quick Description: a stone plaque marking the first surveyed road in Western Reserve located near Concord, Ohio, USA
Location: Ohio, United States
Date Posted: 11/28/2014 8:37:16 AM
Waymark Code: WMMZCF
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Outspoken1
Views: 18

Long Description:
This stone tablet can be found beside the Highway 202 also known as "Girdled Road" located near Concord, Lake County, Ohio. It refers to the first surveyed road in Western Reserve.

According to Wikipedia, "... the Western Reserve was a portion of land claimed by the Colony of Connecticut and later by the state of Connecticut in what is now mostly part of northeastern region of the U.S. state of Ohio. The Reserve had been granted to the Colony by King Charles II. Following the American Revolutionary War, Connecticut gave up claim to some of its western lands, but sold the Western Reserve to developers initially. It finally ceded control of this portion to the United States, and the area was organized under the Northwest Territory, until Ohio was admitted as a state. "Western Reserve" is referred to in numerous institutional names.

The text on the tablet reads as fallow:

THIS TABLET MARKES THE FIRST
SURVEYED ROAD IN WESTERN
RESERVE, AND IS KNOWN AS THE
"GIRDLED ROAD". IT WAS BUILT FROM
THE PENNSYLVANIA LINE TO THE
GUYAHOGA RIVER IN CLEVELAND
IN 1798 BY CONNECTICUT LAND
COMPANY. GENERAL SIMON PERKINS
COMMANDED THE BUILDING PARTY.
ONE HALF MILE EAST OF THIS PLACE
IS THE SITE OF "PERKINS CAMP" WHERE
THE FIRST LOG HOUSE IN CONCORD
TOWNSHIP WAS ERECTED BY GENERAL
PERKINS, AND OCCUPIED BY HIM AND
HIS FORCE DURING THE CONSTRUCTION
OF THIS ROAD. IT WAS IN THIS CAMP
THAT THE FIRST ELECTION FOR TRUM-
BULL COUNTY, WHICH THAN INCLUDED
ALL THE EASTERN OHIO, WAS HELD.
ON SECOND TUESDAY OF OCTOBER
1802, FOR THE PURPOSE OF ELECTING
DELEGATES TO THE TERRITORIAL
LEGISLATURE AND ALSO DELEGATES
TO THE CONSTITUTIONAL CONVENTION.

ERECTED BY NEW CONNECTICUT
CHAPTER DAUGHTERS OF THE
AMERICAN REVOLUTION IN 1913.

Unfortunately, we didn't find any information regarding this particular plaque on Internet.

(visit link)

(visit link)
Group that erected the marker: New Connecticut Chapter - Daughters of American Revolution, Painville, Ohio

URL of a web site with more information about the history mentioned on the sign: [Web Link]

Address of where the marker is located. Approximate if necessary:
Highway 202
Concord, Ohio USA
44024


Visit Instructions:
Take a picture of the marker, preferably including yourself or your GPSr in the photo. A very detailed description of your visit may be substituted for a photo. In any case please provide a description of your visit. A description of only "Visited" or "Saw it while on vacation" by anyone other than the person creating the waymark may be deleted by the waymark owner or the category officers.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Signs of History
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point