St John the Baptist - Upton Bishop, Herefordshire
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 51° 56.549 W 002° 30.644
30U E 533630 N 5754754
Quick Description: The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, apparently ranks among the most interesting in the county.
Location: West Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 10/26/2014 2:39:50 PM
Waymark Code: WMMQMH
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Dorcadion Team
Views: 2

Long Description:
"The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, ranks among the most interesting in the county. It was reopened on July 25, 1862, after having been restored under the superintendence of Mr. (now Sir) George Gilbert Scott, R.A., the eminent church-architect, at an expense of £1,800, raised by voluntary contributions and church building society grants. The church consists of nave, chancel, aisle, porch, and square tower containing an excellent peal of five bells. The pavements are of Godwin's encaustic tiles.

An organ, by Nicholson, of Worcester, was erected in 1874 on the north side of the church, at the sole cost of the present vicar.

There are several stained glass memorial windows. The east window is by Hardman; subject, "Jesus appearing to Mary in the garden", to the memory of the Rev. James Garbett, formerly vicar of the, parish. North chancel, by Wailes; subject, "Zacharias and Elizabeth", to the memory of Dr. Gretton and his wife, formerly dean of Hereford and vicar of the parish. North nave, by Clayton & Bell; subject, "Raising of Jairus's daughter", to the memory of Maude, daughter of the late Henry Chellingworth, Esq., of Grendon court. East aisle, by Hardman; subject, "The Good Samaritan", to the memory of Mr. Charles Prosser. South aisle, by Hardman; memorial window and brass plate, erected in 1868. South chancel, by Clayton & Bell; subject, "The institution of the Eucharist by our Lord", to the memory of the Rev. T. B. Power, the late vicar. A brass plate, with inscription, is placed immediately beneath.

A beautiful brass tablet (by Hardman) was placed in the church in 1872, to the memory of Henry Chellingworth, Esq., and his son and daughters. The ancient monumental stone in the churchyard has been carefully placed on a slightly raised stone base."

SOURCE - (visit link)
Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.