St. Paul's Cathedral - Kamloops, BC
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member T0SHEA
N 50° 40.335 W 120° 19.944
10U E 688486 N 5616774
Quick Description: The oldest part of this cathedral was built in 1888 as the headquarters of the Kamloops Missionary District, established in 1884. In 1924 the building was moved from Victoria Street and additions made.
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Date Posted: 9/13/2014 3:15:50 PM
Waymark Code: WMMFJZ
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Norfolk12
Views: 1

Long Description:
Within the cathedral are a number of truly fine stained glass windows, each one dedicated to the memory of one or more parishioners past. The large, three panelled window is an original, which is in the 1888 section of the sanctuary. All the other windows are post 1924, installed after the sanctuary was moved to Nicola Street and additions made.

Though the advertised office hours are Wednesday - Friday, 10 am to 1 pm, the hours are somewhat more irregular than that, depending on the availability of volunteers to man the office.

ST. PAUL'S ANGLICAN CATHEDRAL

360 Nicola Street - 1888/1924

The first Anglican church in Kamloops was built in 1888 in the 100 block Main Street (Victoria Street West). In 1924, the building was moved to the Nicola Street site at 4th Avenue, and additions made to the original building. The cornerstone contains relics from the original church together with coins and documents. The stained glass window on the east wall is part of the original 1888 sanctuary.

Some thirty years later, the building underwent structural changes. The chancel was enlarged, the altar moved from east to west, and a vestry, chapel and parish hall incorporated. A steeple was erected atop the main entrance. The sanctuary ceiling is supported by magnificent beams and rafters. The pride of the building is its beautiful stained and leaded glass windows. From the sign at the building

St. Paul's St. Paul's
St. Paul's St. Paul's
St. Paul's St. Paul's

Biographical History

St. Paul's began as the headquarters of the Kamloops Missionary District which was established in 1884. This field of activity included all points south of Kamloops to the international boundary and east to the Rocky Mountains, as well as Ashcroft and the Nicola Valley. By 1892 the Kamloops Missionary District had been divided, creating four new missions: Ashcroft and Nicola; the Okanagan Missionary District, including Enderby, Vernon and Penticton; Donald and Golden Missionary District; and Kootenay (or Nelson) Missionary District. By 1917, with the removal of the Thompson River Mission into a separate pastoral responsibility, St. Paul's became a single congregation urban parish. In 1935 Bishop George Wells designated Kamloops the See City and St. Paul's Church the Cathedral. St. Paul's was also responsible for services at St. Peter's, Monte Creek from 1966 until the mid-1970's.
From Memory BC

Type of building where window is located: Church

Address:
360 Nicola Street
Kamloops, BC Canada
V2C 2P5


Admission Charge: 0.00 (listed in local currency)

Days of Operation: The church is open on an irregular basis, the office is on the hall toward the rear.

Hours of Operation: From: 10:00 AM To: 1:00 PM

Visit Instructions:
Please include additional photos of the window or windows at this location. Provide additional information regarding the window/s if you are able.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Stained Glass Windows
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.