Skenfrith Castle - Ruin - Abergavenny, Gwent, Wales.
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member veritas vita
N 51° 52.707 W 002° 47.422
30U E 514430 N 5747539
Quick Description: Skenfrith Castle (Welsh: Castell Ynysgynwraidd) a medieval Castle built on the site of a 11th Century wooden fortress. Located in the heart of the tiny village of Skenfrith, in Gwent, South Wales.
Location: South Wales, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 9/7/2014 11:51:09 AM
Waymark Code: WMME3C
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member QuesterMark
Views: 1

Long Description:
"The first castle at Skenfrith was built by the Normans to protect transport routes to Hereford. Skenfrith Castle, along with White Castle and Grosmont Castle, provided much needed border defences between England and Wales. That first castle was built of timber, and stood atop a man-made mound, made necessary because the castle site lies on level ground beside the River Monnow. In the 12th century the mound was levelled to make way for a more substantial stone fortress to better counter possible Welsh attacks." Text Source: (visit link)

"located on the banks of the River Monnow, five and a half miles north-west of the town of Monmouth. The first defences were built shortly after the Norman Conquest of 1066, although the remains of the castle that stand today date from the early thirteenth century. The castle is a Grade II* listed building." Text Source" (visit link)

"Skenfrith Castle is the only low-lying fortress of the three castles of Skenfrith, Grosmont and White Castle, now known as the castles of the Trilateral. Like the other two castles Skenfrith is remarkably well-preserved, standing mostly to wall walk height. Again we have no early reference as to the foundation of the fortress, though a castle certainly existed here by 1160 when it came into the king’s hands with Grosmont and White Castle. In 1187 the engineer Ralph Grosmont was instructed by King Henry II to rebuild the castle in stone. The eastern wall and possibly north-eastern tower of the castle, built in a totally different style to the rest of the fortress, was constructed by Ralph. However this work proved abortive and Henry II cancelled the building work in 1188 as unnecessary. In 1193, Sheriff William Braose pushed the unfinished castle into rapid service by placing a palisade around the other three sides of the ditch. A prison was later built within the stockade." Text Source: (visit link)

Street Addresss:
Skenfrith, Abergavenny, Monmouthshire NP7 8UH
Type: Ruin

Fee: Free Admission

Hours:
Dawn to Dusk


Related URL: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Original photographs showing additional views of the Ruin/Remnant or even just its current condition are encouraged. Please describe your visit, especially if no additional photos are available. Did you like the Ruin or Remnant? What prompted you to see the Ruin or Remnant?
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Preserved Architectural Remnants and Ruins
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
The_Senior_Crabbes visited Skenfrith Castle - Ruin - Abergavenny, Gwent, Wales. 8/30/2017 The_Senior_Crabbes visited it
veritas vita visited Skenfrith Castle - Ruin - Abergavenny, Gwent, Wales. 9/4/2014 veritas vita visited it

View all visits/logs